Introduction to polymer science and chemistry : a problem-solving approach
- Manas Chanda.
- Second edition.
- Boca Raton : CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, c2013.
- Physical description
- xxi, 748 pages : illustrations ; 26 cm.
Chemistry & ChemEng Library (Swain)
|QD381 .C473 2013||Unknown|
- Chanda, Manas, 1940-
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introductory Concepts Basic Definitions Polymerization and Functionality Polymerization Processes Molecular Architecture Classification of Polymers Plastics, Fibers, and Elastomers Polymer Nomenclature References Exercises Chain Dimensions, Structures, and Transitional Phenomena Introduction PolymerChains: Structures and Dimensions Constitutional and Configurational Isomerism Crystallinity in Polymers Thermal Transitions in Polymers Regions of Viscoelastic Behavior Factors Affecting Tg Factors Affecting Tm Relation Between Tm and Tg Theoretical Treatment of Glass Transition Chain Movements in Amorphous State Thermodynamics of Rubber Elasticity References Exercises Polymers in Solution Introduction Phase Equilibria in Poor Solvents Solubility Behavior of Polymers Swelling of Crosslinked Polymers Frictional Properties of Polymer Molecules in Dilute Solution References Exercises Polymer Molecular Weights Introduction Molecular Weight Averages Molecular Weights in Terms of Moments Molecular Weight Determination References Exercises Condensation (Step-Growth) Polymerization Introduction Rates of Polycondensation Reactions Number-Average Degree of Polymerization Control of Molecular Weight Molecular Weight Distribution (MWD) Nonlinear Step Polymerization Recursive Approach for Average Properties Polycondensation of AxB Monomers References Exercises Free Radical Polymerization Introduction Scheme of Radical Chain Polymerization Experimental Determination of Rp : Dilatometry Methods of Initiation Dead-End Polymerization Determination of Absolute Rate Constants Chain Length and Degree of Polymerization Chain Transfer Deviations from Ideal Kinetics Inhibition/Retardation of Polymerization Effects of Temperature Molecular Weight Distribution Polymerization Processes Living Radical Polymerization References Exercises Chain Copolymerization Introduction Binary Copolymer Composition - Terminal Model Multicomponent Copolymerization: Terpolymerization Deviations from Terminal Model Copolymerization and Crosslinking Block and Graft Copolymerization Reference Exercises Ionic Chain Polymerization Introduction Ionic Polymerizability of Monomers Anionic Polymerization Anionic Copolymerization Cationic Polymerization References Exercises Coordination Addition Polymerization Introduction Ziegler-Natta Catalysts Mechanism of Ziegler-Natta Polymerization Kinetics of Ziegler-Natta Polymerization Supported Metal Oxide Catalysts Ziegler-Natta Copolymerization Metallocene-Based Ziegler-Natta Catalysts Immobilized Metallocene Catalysts Oscillating Metallocene Catalysts References Exercises Ring-Opening Polymerization Introduction Polymerization Mechanism and Kinetics References Exercises Living/Controlled Radical Polymerization Introduction Stable Free Radical Polymerization Atom Transfer Radical Polymerization (ATRP) Degenerative Chain Transfer Reversible Addition-Fragmentation Chain Transfer References Exercises Polymer Synthesis by Click Chemistry Introduction Copper-Catalyzed Azide-Alkyne Cycloaddition Strain-Promoted Azide-Alkyne Coupling Diels-Alder Click Reactions Thiol-Ene Reactions References Exercises Appendix A Conversion of Units Appendix B Fundamental Constants Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Industry and academia remain fascinated with the diverse properties and applications of polymers. However, most introductory books on this enormous and important field do not stress practical problem solving or include recent advances, which are critical for the modern polymer scientist-to-be. Updating the popular first edition of "the polymer book for the new millennium, " Introduction to Polymer Science and Chemistry: A Problem-Solving Approach, Second Edition seamlessly integrates exploration of the fundamentals of polymer science and polymer chemistry. See What's New in the Second Edition: * Chapter on living/controlled radical polymerization, using a unique problem-solving approach * Chapter on polymer synthesis by "click" chemistry, using a unique problem-solving approach * Relevant and practical work-out problems and case studies * Examples of novel methods of synthesis of complex polymer molecules by exciting new techniques * Figures and schematics of the novel synthetic pathways described in the new examples Author Manas Chanda takes an innovative problem-solving approach in which the text presents worked-out problems or questions with answers at every step of the development of a new theory or concept, ensuring a better grasp of the subject and scope for self study. Containing 286 text-embedded solved problems and 277 end-of-chapter home-study problems (fully answered separately in a Solutions Manual), the book provides a comprehensive understanding of the subject. These features and more set this book apart from other currently available polymer chemistry texts.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9781466553842 (hardback : acid-free paper)
- 1466553847 (hardback : acid-free paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: