Real world writing for secondary students : teaching the college admission essay and other gate-openers for higher education
- Jessica Singer Early, Meredith DeCosta ; foreword by Charles Bazerman.
- New York, NY : Teachers College Press, c2012.
- Physical description
- xi, 130 p. ; 24 cm.
- Language and literacy series (New York, N.Y.)
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1631 .E27 2012||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references (p.115-123) and index.
- Setting the stage for a study of writing
- Why writing matters
- Constructing our case study
- Demystifying the college admission essay genre
- Using points of tension as turning points
- Drawing on cultural capital to build writing capital
- Creating a culture that supports real world, gate-opening writing.
- Publisher's Summary
- One of the most important ways to scaffold a successful transition from high school to college is to teach real-world, gate-opening writing genres, such as college admission essays. This book describes a writing workshop for ethnically and linguistically diverse high school students where students receive instruction on specific genre features of the college admission essay. The authors present both the theoretical grounding and the concrete strategies teachers crave, including an outline of specific workshop lessons, teaching calendars, and curricular suggestions. This text encourages secondary teachers to think of writing as a vital tool for all students to succeed academically and professionally. Appropriate for courses and teacher professional development, this accessible book: Reconceptualizes the ways in which writing can best serve marginalized students, examines research-based curricular and teaching approaches for the secondary school classroom, provides a writing workshop framework for creating a college admissions essay complete with lesson-planning materials, activities, handouts, bibliographic resources, and more, includes student perspectives and work samples, offering insight into the lives and struggles of diverse adolescents.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780807753873 20160615
- Publication date
- Language and literacy series
- 9780807753866 (pbk.)
- 9780807753873 (hardcover)
- 0807753874 (hardcover)
- 0807753866 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: