Teaching vocabulary to English language learners
- Michael F. Graves, Diane August , Jeannette Mancilla-Martinez ; foreword by Catherine E. Snow.
- New York, NY : Teachers College Press, c2013.
- Physical description
- xii, 163 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
- Language and literacy series.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|PE1128 .A2 G682 2013||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 140-156) and index.
- Learning words in a second language
- Providing rich and varied language experiences
- Teaching individual words
- Teaching word-learning strategies
- Promoting word consciousness
- Empirically validated vocabulary programs for English-language learners.
- Publisher's Summary
- Building on Michael Gravess bestseller, The Vocabulary Book, this new resource offers a comprehensive plan for vocabulary instruction that K12 teachers can use with English language learners. It is broad enough to include instruction for students who are just beginning to build their English vocabularies, as well as for students whose English vocabularies are approaching those of native speakers. The authors describe a four-pronged program that follows these key components: providing rich and varied language experiences; teaching individual words; teaching word learning strategies; and fostering word consciousness. This user-friendly book integrates up-to-date research on best practices into each chapter and includes vignettes, classroom activities, sample lessons, a list of childrens literature, and more.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780807753750 20160615
- Publication date
- Language and literacy series
- Published simultaneously by Center for Applied Linguistics, Washington, DC, International Reading Association, Newark, DE, and TESOL International Association, Alexandria, VA.
- 0807753750 (pbk. : acid-free paper)
- 9780807753750 (pbk. : acid-free paper)
- 0807753769 (hardcover : acid-free paper)
- 9780807753767 (hardcover : acid-free paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: