The core six : essential strategies for achieving excellence with the common core
- Harvey F. Silver, R. Thomas Dewing, Matthew J. Perini ; foreword by Heidi Hayes Jacobs.
- Alexandria, VA : ASCD, c2012.
- Physical description
- ix, 86 p. ; 23 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB3060.83 .S576 2012||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 79-81) and index.
- Introducing the core six
- 1. Reading for meaning
- 2. Compare & contrast
- 3. Inductive learning
- 4. Circle of knowledge
- 5. Write to learn
- 6. Vocabulary's CODE
- Conclusion : Good for teachers, good for students, good for schools.
- If you already have a strong grasp on the Common Core and are eager to do something about it, this book's research-based strategies will help you respond to the demands of the new standards, particularly the English language arts standards that affect every subject area and grade level. Drawing from the research on which classroom strategies are your "best bets" for improving student achievement, the authors provide what you need to reinforce the Common Core in your lessons, including: a rationale for using each strategy to address the goals of the common core; research that supports the use of each strategy; steps for implementing each strategy in the classroom; sample lessons in multiple grade levels and subjects; and planning considerations to make certain your use of the strategy helps students become better at reading, understanding, using, and communicating rigorous texts. This practical book's teaching recommendations and sample lessons draw on six tips for inspired instruction that ensure your lessons capture students' interest, deepen their understanding, and extend their thinking about required course content. --Publisher description.
- Publication date
- 9781416614753 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1416614753 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Publisher Number
- 113007 ASCD
Browse related items
Start at call number: