Tools students need to be skillful writers : building better sentences
- Phyllis Hostmeyer.
- Thousand Oaks, California : Corwin, 
- Physical description
- xv, 230 pages : illustrations ; 28 cm
Education Library (Cubberley)
LB1576 .H673 2013
- Unknown LB1576 .H673 2013
- Hostmeyer, Phyllis, author.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 219-221) and index.
- Preface Acknowledgments About the Author 1. Introduction: Why Teach Sentence Patterns? 2. Teaching Parts of Speech 3. Sentence Patterns by Grade Level 4. Sentence Combining to Reinforce Skills 5. Activities for Students Needing Extra Practice 6. Extra Practice With Patterns 7. Short Writing Assignments 8. From Patterns to Essays References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Develop fluent writers without the drudgery of diagramming sentences! Here you'll find a variety of sentence patterns, plus activities and sample sentences to build student mastery. Imagine leaving behind the drudgery of diagramming sentences. Imagine, instead, joyful writers who are capable of revising their work and writing effectively. By taking writing down to its basic building block - a solid sentence - and advancing from there, students will develop confidence, enjoy creating sentences, and ultimately empower each other as writers. Lessons for Grades 3-12 include: a variety of sentence patterns presented in a logical sequence; an explanation of each pattern's structure and conventions; reinforcement activities and sample sentences for each pattern; and activities to develop the necessary instructional vocabulary. As students become engaged in the process, they will work toward: meeting the Common Core State; standards for Language Arts; understanding and using basic sentence structures; recognizing what makes a sentence effective; and learning to put sentences together to write effective paragraphs. This indispensable handbook serves as a blueprint for instruction and unit development by emphasizing the end goal: preparing students to be effective writers. Along the way, all students, including English language learners, will gain the fluency and automaticity needed for effective daily writing and for success on high-stakes tests.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9781412989046 (pbk.)
- 1412989043 (pbk.)