Chance and intent : managing the risks of innovation and entrepreneurship
- edited by David L. Bodde and Caron H. St. John.
- New York : Routledge, 2012.
- Physical description
- xiii, 154 p. ; 25 cm.
|HB615 .C527 2012||Unknown|
- Acknowledgements Introduction: Some Thoughts at the Beginning Concerning Risk and its Management Section 1: Decision Making Under Stress and Uncertainty: The Role of Individuals 1. Managing an Entrepreneur's Risk Taking Propensity Philip Bromiley, Devaki Rau, and Caron St. John 2. Risk Takers and Taking Risks William Gartner and Jianwen Liao Section 2: Managing Unruly Reality: The Role of the Business Environment 3. Learning from the Unexpected Rita Gunther McGrath 4. Evidence-Based Management for Entrepreneurial Environments: Faster and Better Decisions With Less Risk Jeffrey Pfeffer 5. Betting the Farm David L. Bodde Section 3: Open Innovation: New Horizons, New Risks 6. Open Innovation From Theory to Practice John T. Wilbanks 7.The Uses and Risks of Open Innovation James A. Euchner 8. Entrepreneurship and Venture Capital in the Age of Collective Intelligence Robert Laubacher Author Biographies.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- A compact and readable book will help executives, entrepreneurs, and venture investors learn to search out and plan for those enterprise hazards that reside outside the bell curve, the conventional domain of risk: Uncertainty, where outcomes can be characterized in advance, reliable estimates cannot be made for the likelihood that they will occur; Ambiguity, where the events and outcomes cannot be well characterized, in some cases because we cannot imagine them and in others because characterization depends upon the institutional interests or cultural values of the observer; and, Ignorance, where neither likelihood estimates nor well-characterized events enjoy much credibility. This edited volume emphasizes practical strategies for understanding and managing the hazards of the new venture in light of recent research. It will help corporate innovators, entrepreneurs, and investors employ a wider spectrum of risk management strategies than is now possible.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 9780415877602 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 0415877601 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780415877619 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 041587761X (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780203126677 (ebook)
- 020312667X (ebook)
Browse related items
Start at call number: