When work disappears : the world of the new urban poor
- William Julius Wilson.
- 1st Vintage Books ed.
- New York : Vintage Books, 1997.
- Physical description
- xxiii, 322 p. : ill ; 21 cm.
- Wilson, William J., 1935-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 283-307) and index.
- pt. 1. The new urban poverty
- ch. 1. From institutional to jobless ghettos
- ch. 2. Societal changes and vulnerable neighborhoods
- ch. 3. Ghetto-related behavior and the structure of opportunity
- ch. 4. The fading inner-city family
- ch. 5. The meaning and significance of race : employers and inner-city workers
- pt. 2. The social policy challenge
- ch. 6. The American belief system concerning poverty and welfare
- ch. 7. Racial antagonisms and race-based social policy
- ch. 8. A broader vision : social policy options in cross-national perspective
- A. Perspectives on poverty concentration
- B. Methodological note on the research at the Center for the Study of Urban Inequality
- C. Tables on urban poverty and family life study research
- Reprint/reissue date
- Original date
- Originally published: New York : Knopf, 1996.
- 0679724176 (pbk.) : $13.00
- 9780679724179 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: