My start-up life : what a (very) young CEO learned on his journey through Silicon Valley
- Casnocha, Ben.
- 1st ed.
- San Francisco : Jossey-Bass, c2007.
- Physical description
- xiv, 189 p. ; 24 cm.
HD9696.65.U64 C663 2007
- Unknown HD9696.65.U64 C663 2007
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 185-188).
- 1. My dot-com life begins
- Brainstorm : who knows what could happen if you raise your hand?
- Brain trust : take responsibility / Heidi Roizen
- 2. Nature or nurture? : a San Francisco upbringing
- Brainstorm : all the fuss about "passion" - and how to tap into yours
- 3. The first axiom of business : find a need and fill it
- Brainstorm : the fringe-thoughts list : where most great ideas develop
- Brainstorm : feedback, feedback, feedback
- 4. Comcate is born : the nuts and bolts of starting a business
- Brainstorm : the business plan myth
- Brainstorm : why some people get more stuff done (and start real businesses)
- 5. First meeting with a VC (it's all about the network)
- Brainstorm : the power of mentors
- Brainstorm : when to ask a dumb question
- Brain trust : taking mentor relationships to the next level / Brad Feld
- 6. Signing up early customers : selling the sizzle and the steak
- Brainstorm : asking questions : there's a right and a wrong way
- Brainstorm : I have a strategic plan. It's called doing things
- 7. Confronting failure ... and bouncing back
- Brainstorm : building resilience - a transferable quotient
- Brainstorm : how to create and leverage an advisory board
- 8. Hiring an interim CEO : my first big mistake
- Brainstorm : three sure ways to maximize luck
- 9. The hunt for a COO : recruiting a top team
- Brainstorm : the art of courtship
- Brainstorm : how to overcome fear of failure
- 10. Life as a road warrior : making memorable sales pitches
- Brainstorm : presentations - worthy of obsession
- Brainstorm : pricing in an early-stage company
- Brain trust : life is a sales call / Jeff Parker
- 11. I'm a sophomore : balancing work, school and life
- Brainstorm : redefining the entrepreneurial lifestyle : sleep, nutrition, exercise
- Brainstorm : being a corporate athlete
- Brain trust : a life that works / Chris Yeh
- 12. A Silicon Valley life : building me, inc
- Brainstorm : networking 101
- Brainstorm : networking 202
- Brainstorm : every cold call can be warm - rich first-time interactions
- Brainstorm : creating and projecting brand "me"
- 13. The product development process : cheap good, or fast?
- Brainstorm : dare to be mediocre : good is the enemy of perfect
- 14. It's a frugal, frugal world : bootstrapping
- Through the inevitable cash squeeze brainstorm : asking for money versus asking for advice
- 15. The long, hard slog : achieving scale
- Brainstorm : a relationship-based first business
- Brainstorm : getting more good revenue and less bad revenue
- Brain trust : keep slogging away / Carol Rutlen
- 16. Fulfilling the mission, one customer at a time
- Brainstorm : make meaning : what gets you and your employees up each day?
- 17. The road ahead : leaders of the flat world
- Brain trust : how to think about the future / Sean Ness
- 18. What will you be shouting when you reach the grave?
- Brainstorm : entrepreneurs are optimists
- Brain trust : let your heart guide you / Timothy J. Taylor
- App. A. What's next
- App. B. A one-a-day, one-month plan to becoming a better entrepreneur
- App. C. Ben's reading list.
- "My Start-Up Life is more than a gee-whiz account from a precocious teenager - it is a serious yet entertaining treatment of the ups and downs of an entrepreneurial life and the sacrifices necessary to pursue a vision. Casnocha reveals practical tools for you to use to start your own business, or simply become CEO of your own life."--BOOK JACKET.
- Supplemental links
Table of contents only
Contributor biographical information
- Publication date
- Ben Casnocha ; foreword by Marc Benioff.
- 0787996130 (cloth)
- 9780787996130 (cloth)