Romancing the shadow : illuminating the dark side of the soul
- Connie Zweig and Steve Wolf.
- 1st ed.
- New York : Ballantine Books, 1997.
- Physical description
- xii, 348 p. ; 25 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 333-340) and index.
- Introduction to Shadow-Work
- Our Stories
- Ch. 1. Me and My Shadow
- Ch. 2. The Family Shadow: Cradle of the Best and the Worst
- Ch. 3. A Parent's Betrayal as Initiation into Shadow
- Ch. 4. Looking for the Beloved: Dating as Shadow-Work
- Ch. 5. Shadow-Boxing: Wrestling with Romantic Partners
- Ch. 6. Shadow-Dancing Till Death Do Us Part
- Ch. 7. Shadows Among Friends: Envy, Anger, and Betrayal
- Ch. 8. The Shadow at Work: The Search for Soul on the Job
- Ch. 9. Midlife as Descent to the Underworld and Ascent of the Lost Gods
- A Shadow-Work Handbook
- Who's Who in Greek Myth: From Aphrodite to Zeus.
- "Within each woman and man, the dim cavern of the unconscious holds our forbidden feelings, secret wishes, and creative urges. Over time, these "dark" forces take on a life of their own, forming an intuitively recognizable figure - the shadow. A recurring theme in literature and legend, the shadow is like an invisible twin, a stranger that is us, yet is not us. When it acts out in the public domain, we witness our leaders, like hero-villains, fall from grace into scandal. Closer to home, we may feel overcome with rage, obsession, and shame or succumb to self-destructive lies, addiction, or depression. These appearances of the shadow introduce us to the Other, a powerful force that defies our efforts to tame and control it." "Connie Zweig, Ph.D., and Steve Wolf, Ph.D., innovators in the use of shadow-work in psychotherapy, have helped hundreds of clients in their encounters with the dark side." "The authors weave together the rich perspectives of Carl Jung and James Hillman, timeless Greek myths, and universal archetypal images with insightful contemporary stories from their clients' lives."--BOOK JACKET.
- Supplemental links
Contributor biographical information
- Publication date
- 0345417399 (alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: