Book — 1 online resource (181 pages) : illustrations, maps.
9783940924698; 9783940924698; Half Title; Title; Copyright; Acknowledgements and Note on Transliteration; Contents; Introduction;
1. The Federal Plan in Yemen: History of an Idea andIts Current Development;
2. Hadrami Identities in Saudi Arabia;
3. Corruption in Yemen: Maintaining the Status Quo?;
4. Labor, Investment, and Natural Resources in the Yemeni Economy;
5. The Political Economy of Agriculture andAgricultural Policy in Yemen;
6. Yemen Urban Water: Extreme Challenges, Practical Solutions, and Lessons for the Future from the Case of Taiz
7. â#x80; #x9C; Our Main Concern is Securityâ#x80; #x9D; : Womenâ#x80; #x99; s Political Participation, Engagement in the Security Sector, and Public Safety in YemenAbout the Contributors; Abbreviations; Chronology; Maps
As Yemenis start planning the reconstruction and rebuilding of their country after recent turmoil they face huge challenges in every major sphere. This book discusses the political and economic background and analyses the most important issues:_x000B_- the option of improved governance through a federal government_x000B_- addressing the powerful and patronage networks of the previous regime_x000B_- investing in Yemen's human and natural resources to compensate for falling revenues from oil and gas_x000B_- maintaining rural life through reduced dependence on irrigated agriculture and investing.