This database provides full page and article images with searchable full text from the Pittsburgh courier (1911-1950 : City ed.), Courier (1950-1954 : City ed.), Pittsburgh courier (1955-1966 : City ed.), New Pittsburgh courier (1966-1981 : City ed.), and New Pittsburgh courier (1981-2002). The collection includes digital reproductions of every page from every issue in PDF format.
DeLand, Volusia County, Fla. : Chris O. Codrington, -1921.
Newspaper — volumes
The DeLand (FL) News [LCCN: sn92062121] began publishing sometime in 1907 or early 1908. The newspaper succeeded the DeLand (FL) Weekly News [LCCN: sn95026697] in publication since 1887. The title, DeLand Weekly News, was used occasionally between 1908 and 1909. Its name change was inconsequential to its readership; the DeLand News remained a weekly. In 1921, DeLand News merged with the Volusia County (FL) Record [LCCN: sn95026693] to form the DeLand News and Volusia County Record [LCCN: sn95026694]. Christopher O. Codrington was the editor of both the DeLand Weekly News and the DeLand News. Very little is known about Codrington outside of a reference in the Miami (FL) Herald [LCCN: sn83016279] and trial summaries published in the Southern Reporter [LCCN sn88016989]. The Miami Herald's reference on December 26, 1914 names Codrington as the editor of the DeLand News. The Southern Reporter, in Vol. 45 (1908), p. 809-811, summarizes the history of the civil case of "Steward vs.-Codrington, et al." for libel stemming from reporting in a May 1906 issue of the DeLand Weekly News. Isaac A. Stewart held the office of Judge of the Criminal Court of Record in Volusia County (FL) in 1906. The review courts found that the case was not related to Stewart's official position as claimed. While the summary is not specific to the opinions of either Codrington or Stewart, it does establish that Codrington was acquitted in February 1908. It is doubtful that the conclusion of the case had any influence in the newspaper's title change. Steward as also one of three owners of the Georgia, Florida and Key West Railway Company, incorporated in Florida and running through Volusia County. The interests of the railway and tourism played large in DeLand and in Volusia County. Settled in 1874, DeLand, originally named Persimmon Hollow after its persimmon trees, was accessible only by steamboat.-The railroad changed the city shortly after Henry DeLand, a New York industrialist, in 1876, visited, renamed and re-envisioned its future as a center for agriculture, particularly for citrus, and for tourism. The railroad arrived sometime after June 2, 1877 when the Georgia, Florida and Key West Railway Company was incorporated to run from the Florida/Georgia state line to New Symrna (FL) on the Atlantic coast just east of DeLand and likely threatening the city's prospects. DeLand is known in Florida as a city of firsts. It was first in Florida to have electricity, most of it generated in New York. It hosted Florida's first private university, Stetson University, named after John B. Stetson of Western hat fame. Later, it would host Florida's first law school, established in 1900 at Stetson University. Although the county seat, readers of both the DeLand Weekly News and the DeLand News can see political and economic power shifts to the coast and to the city of Daytona Beach (FL).-The Southern Reporter's summary is not specific to the date of publication of the words that were subject of the suit. Additional court reporting is currently (ca. 2008) not available.--E. Kesse, University of Florida Digital Library Center.