Book — 1 online resource (xv, 178 pages) : illustrations
Table of Contents; Series Preface; Acknowledgements;
1. Introduction:History beyond the Death Trips;
2. Authenticity and Independence:Fruit Chan and Independent Filmmaking;
3. There Are Many Waysto Be Realistic;
4. The Art of Détournement;
5. In Search of the Ghostlyin Context;
6. In Search of the Ghostlyin Urban Spaces;
7. Epilogue:Grassrooting Cinematic Practices;
Appendix 1. Interview with Fruit Chan;
Appendix 2. Funding Sources and Awards; Notes; Credits; Bibliography.
This volume looks at Chan's tragic coming-of-age film which follows three disillusioned local youths struggling to navigate Hong Kong public housing projects and late adolescence amid violent crime, gang pressure, and broken homes.