3. Student-teacher relationships: the alienation paradigm
4. Discipline and punishment: dehumanisation
5. School rules: the web of regimentation
6. Achievement pressure and the meaning of study
pt. 2. Responses: conformity and resistance
7. Ijime: the price of super-conformity
8. Tōkōkyohi: burnout and resistance.
For large numbers of school students in Japan school has become a battle field. Recent violent events in schools, together with increasing drop-out rates and bullying are undermining stereotypes about the effectiveness of the Japanese education system. This incisive and original book looks at Japanese high school from a student perspective and contextualises this educational turmoil within the broader picture of Japans troubled economic and political life. (source: Nielsen Book Data)