First edition. - Villupuram District, Tamilnadu : Social Awareness Society for Youths ; Chennai : Human Rights Advocacy and Research Foundation ; New Delhi : National Dalit Movement for Justice, March 2014.
New Delhi ; New York : Oxford University Press, 2009.
Book — ix, 260 p. : maps ; 23 cm.
LIST OF MAPS AND ILLUSTRATIONS-- LIST OF TABLES--
1. Laws, Policies, and Practices in Jharkhand (Nandini Sundar)--
2. Law, Custom, and Adivasi Identity: Politics of Land Rights in Chotanagpur (Carol Upadhya)--
3. Conflicts and Contradictions: Land Laws in the Santal Parganas (Nitya Rao)--
4. Alienation and Restoration of Tribal Land in Jharkhand: Current Issues and Possible Strategies (Ramesh Sharan)--
5. Forest Law, Ideology and Practice (Sudha Vasan)--
6. Water Law and the Poor: Emerging Issues and Concerns (Videh Upadhyay)--
7. Mining and Development: The Paradox (Ajitha Susan George)--
8. Framing the Political Imagination: Custom, Democracy, and Citizenship (Nandini Sundar)--
Appendix 1: Laws Related to Land Rights and Rights to Resources in Jharkhand-- Bibliography-- Notes on Contributors.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
This volume discusses the ways in which natural resources are conceptualized in the law as individual property, common property, or available for commercial exploitation. Focusing primarily on issues specific to the state of Jharkhand, it raises wider questions about colonization and globalization, the difference between law and practice, customary and written laws, and interpretation based issues in rights over natural resources. Jharkhand provides an ideal location for the discussion of these issues, as it has a large tribal population, and is increasingly becoming a space where traditional/ tribal rights are in conflict with modern/ state and development based rights. Chapters 1-3 examine different aspects of land rights - the struggle to acquire land, keep it, get it restored, and cultivate it. Chapter 4 looks at the counterfeit legal methods used to grab land. Chapters 5-8 discuss laws and policies related to forests, water and mining, both conceptually and practically. (source: Nielsen Book Data) 9780198062066 20160604