Oxford ; New York : Oxford University Press, 2007.
Book — 1 online resource (xxvi, 323 pages) : illustrations, map Digital: data file.
NOTE TO READERS; ABBREVIATIONS; LIST OF ILLUSTRATIONS; CAST OF CHARACTERS; Prologue: A Haunting in Minehead;
1. The World of the Leakeys;
2. The Leakeys' Other World;
3. The Devil Let Loose off his Chain;
4. The Shameful End of Bishop Atherton;
5. The Penitent Death of a Woeful Sinner;
7. The Narratives of the Reverend John Quick;
8. Atherton and Leakey: History and Folklore; Epilogue: Mother Leakey's Parlour; NOTES; BIBLIOGRAPHY OF SOURCES CITED; INDEX.
In 1636 sightings of the ghost of an old woman are reported in Minehead, and a royal commission is sent to investigate. In 1940 a disgraced Protestant bishop is hanged in Dublin, after being convicted of an 'unspeakable crime'. Marshall sets out to uncover the link between these seemingly unconnected events.