Stanford, CA : Walter H. Shorenstein Asia-Pacific Research Center, c2009.
Book — xiv, 424 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm
1. Pharmaceutical policy in South Korea / Soonman Kwon
2. The economics of pharmaceutical pricing and physician prescribing in Japan / Toshiaki Iizuka
3. The political economy of incrementally separating prescription from dispensation in Japan / Naoko Tomita
4. Pharmaceutical policy in Thailand : a review of three decades of government interventions / Sauwakon Ratanawijitrasin
5. Pharmaceutical policy in Taiwan / Chee-Ruey Hsieh
6. Regulation and the politics of pharmaceuticals in Australia / Hans Lofgren
7. The Australian pharmaceutical subsidy gambit : transmuting deadweight loss and oligopoly rents to consumer surplus / Mark Johnston and Richard Zeckhauser
8. The evolution of modern Indian pharmaceuticals / Chirantan Chatterjee
9. Pharmaceutical policy and health reform in China / Yiyong Yang
10. Streamlining China's pharmaceutical distribution channels / Mingzhi Li and Kai Reimers
11. Pharmaceutical policy and the appropriate use of medicines in China / Qiang Sun and Qingyue Meng
12. Pharmaceutical pricing in China / Yanfen Huang and Yiyong Yang
13. Challenges to China's pharmaceutical industry and their policy implications / Wei Wilson Zhang and Xue Liu
14. China's underdeveloped drug regulation regime: a threat to global safety? / Michael A. Santoro and Caitlin M. Liu
15. Ayurvedic pharmaceutical products : government policy, marketing rhetoric, and rational use / Maarten Bode
16. Physicians and pharmacists in comparative historical perspective : the case of South Korea / Karen Eggelston and Bong-Min Yang
17. Prescribing patterns in Australia : determinants and implications for the Asia-Pacific / Siaw-Teng Liaw
18. Insurance systems in the Asia-Pacific Region : improving appropriate use of and access to medicines / Anita Wagner and Dennis Ross-Degnan -
19. Debating drug access and R&D incentives / John H. Barton
20. Encouraging innovative treatment for neglected diseases through priority review vouchers / Henry G. Grabowski, David B. Ridley, and Jeffrey L. Moe
Conclusion: a critical review of the dynamics and regulation of Asian pharmaceutical industries / F. M. Scherer.
The first section of this report analyzes pharmaceutical policy in China, Korea, Japan, Thailand, Taiwan, Australia, and India. The second section focuses on two cross-cutting themes: differences in "prescribing cultures" and physician dispensing; and the challenge of balancing access to drugs with incentives for innovation -- p.  of cover.