2. Popular Belief and the Rationalization of Religion, 700-1300
3. Science, Magic and the Demonic, 1200-1400: The Catalyst
4. Science, Magic and the Demonic, 1200-1400: The Reaction
5. The Witchcraze and the Crisis of Early Modern Europe, 1400-1650
6. Desacralized Science and Social Control, 1500-1700 Conclusion Notes Index.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
Steven P. Marrone traces the mutual interactions and boundaries of science, religion and magic in medieval and early modern Europe. Woven together, these three narratives help explain the simultaneous emergence of modern science and early modern social order in Europe. (source: Nielsen Book Data)