Manchester ; New York : Manchester University Press ; New York : Distributed exclusively in the USA by Palgrave, 2006.
Book — 259 p. ; 24 cm.
List of abbreviations-- Acknowledgements-- Introduction--
1. 'The future written in the stars'? The historical background--
2. 'The only legacy of my life': Peter Mohyla and his College--
3. 'Latin books are readily available': Mohyla's private library--
4. The 'Old' and the 'New' collections: the library from within--
5. 'Completely destroyed'? The 1780 fire and the surviving books--
6. 'Seeds being sown up and down': the library as a tool and cultural symbol-- Conclusion--
Appendix I - List of the surviving books--
Appendix II - List of the authors quoted in Athanasius Kalnofoyski's Teratourgema (Kiev, 1638)-- Bibliography.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
The first study of the lost library of the Kiev Mohyla Academy which was destroyed by fire in 1780. Since then its history and the precise content of its collections presented a mystery to researchers The Academy was the first, and - for the next half a century - the only, institution operating at the university level in the Eastern Orthodox world Engagingly and passionately written, this book throws new light on the Academy's intellectual foundations. (source: Nielsen Book Data)