Book — 1 online resource (xvii, 170 pages) : illustrations.
1. Social Categories Under Tibetan and Chinese Rule
2. Expressions of Rank in Daily Life
4. Keepers of Cultural Knowledge
5. The Value of Inherited Knowledge
6. Morality and Rank: Self-presentation in Contemporary Lhasa.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
This study explores how Tibetans manoeuvre within two contradictory value systems - those of old Tibet and the new People's Republic of China - balancing between ideals and pragmatism. More specifically, it asks how it is that the social categories of pre-communist Lhasa persist and are relevant in daily life despite decades of Chinese rule and the comprehensive restructuring of Tibetan society. (source: Nielsen Book Data)