Book — 1 online resource (xv, 271 pages). Digital: data file.
1. The Writer and His World. Childhood, family and locality. Education and intellectual influences. Political beliefs and sympathies. The novelist as civil servant. A personal sketch
2. Looking Backward to the Present: The Historical Novels. The Game of Fates. Rhodopis. The Struggle of Thebes. Some considerations of form in the early historical novels. History revisited: Before the Throne. He Who Likes in the Truth
3. Pains of Rebirth: The Conflict Between Past and Present. Khan al-Khalili. New Cairo. Midaq Alley. Mirage. The Beginning and the End
4. Time and the Man: Four Egyptian Sagas. The Cairo Trilogy. There Only Remains an Hour. The Day the Leader was Killed. Qushtumur
5. The Aborted Dream: On Earth as in Heaven. The Thief and the Dogs. Autumn Quail. The Search. The Beggar. Chatter on the Nile. Miramar. Love in the Rain and The Karnak. The Heart of the Night. The Age of Love. Wedding Song
6. Fragments of Time: The Episodic Novels. Mirrors. Fountain and Tomb.
Tales of Mornings and Evenings. Good Morning to You. Children of Gebelawi. Epic of the Harafish. Nights of the Thousand Nights. The Travels of Ibn Fattuma
7. Matters of Form: A Case Study of Respected Sir. The plot. The viewpoint. Themes and presentation. Characterization. Language
8. Images of God, Death and Society: The Short Stories and the Plays. The beginning. The second beginning. The flight into absurdity. The plays. The huwariyyat. The recoil from absurdity