Third world colonialism and strategies of liberation : Eritrea and East Timor compared
- Weldemichael, Awet Tewelde.
- Cambridge ; New York : Cambridge University Press, 2013.
- Physical description
- xviii, 348 p. : maps ; 24 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 317-336) and index.
- Introduction-- 1. Swaggering empires and defiant 'new provinces'-- 2. Bittersweet replicas of foreign experiences and reform-- 3. Toward reorganization and reorientation: Eritrean fragmentation and East Timorese near-defeat-- 4. Victims of their own success: the revitalized nationalist movements and their challenges-- 5. Eritrean and East Timorese diplomacy of liberation-- 6. To Asmara through Addis Ababa and Dili via Jakarta-- 7. Winning insurgencies and counterinsurgencies in a changing global order-- 8. The promise and quandary of 'infusing fresh blood' and 'inaugurating new politics'-- Conclusion.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- By analyzing Ethiopia's rule over Eritrea and Indonesia's rule over East Timor, Third World Colonialism and Strategies of Liberation compares the colonialism of powerful third world countries on their smaller, less powerful neighbors. Through a comparative study of Eritrean and East Timorese grand strategies of liberation, this book documents the inner workings of the nationalist movements and traces the sources of government types in these countries. In doing so, Awet Tewelde Weldemichael challenges existing notions of grand strategy as a unique prerogative of the West and opposes established understanding of colonialism as an exclusively Western project on the non-Western world. In addition to showing how Eritrea and East Timor developed sophisticated military and non-military strategies, Weldemichael emphasizes that the insurgents avoided terrorist methods when their colonizers indiscriminately bombed their countries, tortured and executed civilians, held them hostage, starved them deliberately and continuously threatened them with harsher measures.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Awet Tewelde Weldemichael.