- Publication date:
- London : Hutchinson, 2006.
- xii, 340 p.,  p. of plates : ill. (some col.) ; 24 cm.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 316-325) and index.
- The Persian wars
- The Delian league
- The Acropolis building project
- The Parthenon sculptures
- After Pericles
- Pergamene patronage and the Roman Empire
- The coming of the Christians
- Byzantine Athens (529-1204)
- Crusader Athens
- King Solomon's mosque
- The decline and fall of the Acropolis
- An embassy to the east : Napoleon in Egypt, Elgin in Istanbul
- Work begins in Athens
- The firman
- The Elgins arrive in Athens
- The legality of Elgin's actions
- To the British Museum
- The debate over the Elgin marbles : who owns them, and where do they belong?