Language and learning in multilingual classrooms : a practical approach
LC3731 .C557 2012
- Unknown LC3731 .C557 2012
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- IntroductionSection I: Getting Started 1.The New Arrival 2.First Contact and BeyondSection II: Planning: A Whole-School Approach 3. Linguistic and Academic Support for Newcomers and l 2Ls 4. Differentiated Instruction and Assessment for Newcomers and l 2Ls 5. Planning Ahead Section III: In the Classroom 6. An Inclusive Learning Environment 7. Making Space for Community Languages 8. Oral Language in Every Classroom 9. Reading and Writing in Every Classroom 10. Vocabulary Instruction in Every Classroom.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This book is a research-based practical guide for educators who work with students whose linguistic and cultural background is different from their own. Illustrated with many practical examples of classroom activities, projects, and teaching strategies, the book is also an introduction to immigrant education for school administrators and educational planners in communities or regions that are in the process of developing plans and programs for newcomer students. Although the focus is on first-generation immigrant children, many of the recommended approaches and instructional strategies described in this book can be used or adapted for use with second-generation children and historical linguistic and cultural minorities, such as children from Aboriginal communities in North America or children of Roma background in Europe.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Elizabeth Coelho.
- Parents' and teachers' guides ; 16