Hope and tears : Ellis Island voices
- Swain, Gwenyth, 1961-
- 1st ed.
- Honesdale, Pa. : Calkins Creek, c2012.
- Physical description
- 115 p. : ill. (some col.), col. map ; 27 cm.
JV6484 .S93 2012
- Unknown JV6484 .S93 2012
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 105-111) and index.
- Ch1. Ellis Islands - Pilapeu, Lenni Lenape Boy
- Jasper, Dutch Colonist
- Samuel Ellis, Tavern Owner
- David, New York Subway Worker
- Ch2. Arrivals - Annie Moore, Irish Immigrant
- Anatole, Greek Immigrant
- Elizabeth Martin, Hungarian Immigrant - Horace, a Grouper
- Ch3. Inspections - Margaret, English Immigrant
- Wanda, German Bohemian Immigrant
- Najeeb Abreely, Immigrant Inspector - Jarek, Polish Immigrant
- Margaret Batchelder, Immigrant Inspector
- Arnold Weiss, Russian Immigrant
- Ch4. Island of Hope, Island of Tears
- Sven, Norwegian Immigrant - Moshe and the Lady, Hungarian Immigrant and Aid Worker - Paul, French Immigrant
- Sarah, Welsh Immigrant - Robbie and Moira, Irish Immigrants - Pearl Libow, Russian Immigrant
- Hubert Julian, Detainee
- Ch5. Living and Working - Augustus Sherman, Clerk and Photographer
- Lucia, Cook
- Annie, Nurse
- Florence, Salvation Army Volunteer
- Ch6. Closed Doors Reopen - Matt, German American Boy
- Jack, Restoration Worker
- Grandma and Jenny, Storytellers
- Paula, Student
- Danny and Grandpa Salvatore, Storytellers
- Lisa, National Park Service Employee
- Source Notes
- Going Further
- Picture Credits
- Letters, diary entries, poems, monologues and dialogues created to illustrate the stories of people whose lives were touched by Ellis Island, once the United States' largest immigration station.
- Ellis Island Immigration Station (N.Y. and N.J.) > Juvenile literature.
- Immigrants > United States > History > Juvenile literature.
- United States > Emigration and immigration > History > Juvenile literature.
- Ellis Island Immigration Station (N.Y. and N.J.)
- Immigrants > United States > History.
- United States > Emigration and immigration > History.
- Publication date
- Gwenyth Swain.