Maximizing motivation for literacy learning : grades K-6
LB1576 .M3777 2013
- Unknown LB1576 .M3777 2013
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction: Myths and Truths. Part I: Motivating Classroom Communities. Book Blessing. Citizen of the Month. Class Spirit. Literacy Centers Plus. Literacy Workshop Plus. Read-and-Think Corner. Star of the Week. Teacher's Reading Log. Happy Happenings Box. Lifeline: Past-Present-Future.Part II: Promoting Self-Concept as a Reader. Experts Teaching. Every-Pupil-Response Techniques. High Five. I Can, You Can, We Can. Specific Praise. Now-Next-Quick Reads. Alternatives to Cold, Round Robin Reading. Word Sorting for Younger Students. Word Sorting for Older Students. Part III: Promoting the Value of Reading. Be a Reading Role Model. Wall of Fame. Honor All Print. Personal Invitation to Read. Make a Real-World Connection. I-Search. Textbook Top Ten. Rewarding Reading. Your Life in Books. Vote for the Read-Aloud. Promoting the Value of Literacy at Home. Part IV: Against All Odds: A Case Study of Small Changes and Big Differences. Part V: Assessing Motivation: Instruments. Assessing Motivation to Read. The Teacher, the Text, and the Context: Factors That Influence Elementary Students' Motivation to Write. Part VI: Conclusion: Myths and Truths Revisited.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This indispensable book presents a wealth of concrete ways to promote children's intrinsic motivation to read. It provides 30 practical strategies and activities-such as "Citizen of the Month, " "High Five, " and "Your Life in Books"-that are ready to implement in the K-6 classroom. Teachers get step-by-step instructions for creating a motivating classroom environment, nurturing children's self-concepts as literacy learners, and fostering appreciation of the value of reading and writing. More than a dozen reproducibles include two helpful assessment tools; the large-size format facilitates photocopying.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Barbara A Marinak, Linda B. Gambrell, Susan A. Mazzoni.
- Teaching practices that work