Breviary, with neumes, with part of the service for Pentecost : manuscript leaf
- Corporate Author
- Catholic Church
- France : [s.n.], [2nd half of 13th century]
- Physical description
- 1 leaf, 355 x 284 mm (305 x 203 mm)
All materials are stored offsite. Request items 2 business days in advance. Maximum 5 items per day.
- In-library use MISC 1848
- Earliest possible date
- Latest possible date
- From a large-format noted Breviary. Double columns written in dark brown ink in two sizes of gothic script, 27 lines, ruled lightly with plummet, square notation on four-line staves ruled in red, two-line initials in red and blue with contrasting penwork, capitals touched in red; creased and slightly soiled from use as an archival wrapper.
- Repaired with a strip of vellum on which is written an elaborate but spurious note in a nineteenth-century hand in pseudo-medieval French. It bears the date 26 September 1306, is addressed to a ‘Gente Damoiselle’ and purports to be from ‘Fr. l’Ignote, imagier en N. Dame de Theuley’. It is written in a vaguely gothic script and is accompanied by sketches of the arms of the lords of Vergy (whose burial church Theuley indeed was). [Dealer description]
- Open for research; material must be requested at least 24 hours in advance of intended use.
- Purchased, 2013. Accession 2013-066.
- ‘Achapt pour Dame froisoiard . . . 1691’ inscribed in outer margin of recto.
- From the Rosenthal collection.