Making peoples heard : essays on human rights in honour of Gudmundur Alfredsson
- English, Icelandic. One chapter in Icelandic with a summary in English.
- Leiden ; Boston : Martinus Njhoff, 2011.
- Physical description
- xxix, 643 p. : col. port. ; 25 cm.
K3240 .M3534 2011
- Unknown K3240 .M3534 2011
- Includes bibliographical references.
- A tribute to Dr. Guðmundur Alfreðsson from the President of Iceland / Ólafur Ragnar Grimsson
- Islands of independence : Gudmundur Alfredsson and human rights capacity development / Jonas Grimheden and Rolf Ring
- Milestones in the development of international humanitarian law / Daniel Thürer
- Post-war American international law scepticism : the International Criminal Court, Stockholm 1924 / Mark Weston Janis
- Peace as a human right : the jus cogens prohibition of aggression / Alfred de Zayas
- The human right to peace / William A. Schabas
- Security and human rights in the regulation of private military companies : the role of the home state / Francesco Francioni
- What makes democracy good? / Lyal S. Sunga
- Is the United Nations Human Rights Council living up to the international community's expectations? / Markus G. Schmidt
- The UN Human Rights Council : the perennial struggle between realism and idealism / Bertrand G. Ramcharan
- Eight UN Petitions procedures : a comparative analysis / Jakob TH. Möller
- The legal status of views adopted by the Human Rights Committee : from genesis to adoption of General Comment no. 33 / Geir Ulfstein
- Winter break 2010 : a week in the life of a special rapporteur / Martin Scheinin
- Legal and judicial shortcomings of the surrogate state of "Unmikistan" / Margrét Heinreksdóttir
- The right to inclusive education for children with disabilities : innovations in the CRPD / Oddný Mjöll Arnardóttir
- The Council of Europe : a champion in monitoring implementations of human rights standards? / Petter F. Wille
- Flexibilising the modes of amending the European Convention of Human Rights : an idea of the "statute" for the European Court / Krzysrof Drzewicki
- Strengthening or the principle of subsidiarity of the European Convention of Human Rights / Björg Thorarensen
- Presumption of Convention compliance / Davið Þór Björgvinsson
- The right to adequate judicial reasoning / Ragnar Aðalsteinsson
- Dialogue between states and international human rights monitoring organs : especially the European Commission Against Racism and Intolerance / Lauri Hannikainen
- How old are you? : Age discrimination and the EU law / Allan Rosas
- NHRIs in the European Union : status quo vadis? / Morten Kjærum and Jonas Grimheden
- Selected examples of the contemporary practice of the Inter-American System in confronting grave violations of human rights : United State and Colombia / Diego Rodriguez-Pinzón
- Prevention of discrimination, protection of minorities, and the rights of indigenous peoples : challenges and choices / Asbjørn Eide
- Minority protection in the African System of Human Rights / Michelo Hansungule
- Indigenous peoples on the international scene : a personal reminiscence / Lee Swepston
- Indigenous peoples and the right to development / Rainer Hofmann and Juri Alistair Gauthier
- Principle problems regarding indigenous land rights and recent endeavours to resolve them / Erica-Irene A. Daes
- Traditional knowledge of indigenous peoples : preserve or protect? : That's the question! / Mpazi Sinjela
- Redefining sovereignty and self-determination through a declaration of sovereignty : the Inuit way of defining the parameters for future Arctic governance / Timo Koivurova
- Compliance with the views of the UN Human Rights Committee and the judgments of the European Court of Human Rights in Iceland / Gudrun Gauksdottir and Thordis Ingadottir
- Átti skortur á lýðræðisegum stjôrnarháttum þátt í nýafstöðnu bankahruni á Íslandi? = Did lack of democratic governance contribute to the recent collapse of the Icelandic banking system? : Summary in English / Eiríkur Tómasson
- "Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom" : constitutional principles and preceding causes of the crash in Iceland / Herdís Thorgeirsdóttir
- The constitutionalism of the Republic of Iceland and the role and status of the president / Áugúst Þór Árnason
- The hundred-year journey of the concept of human rights in China / Xu Xianming
- Article 17 or China's Regional National Autonomy law : its implementation and implications / Maria Lundberg and Zhou Yang
- Enforcement of economic, social, and cultural rights at the national level : the Indian practice / Manoj Kumar Sinha.
- Publisher's Summary
- A leading theme in this impressive collection of essays in honour of Professor Gudmundur Alfredsson is the advancement of international rules and mechanisms to empower individuals, groups and peoples everywhere to pursue their rights nationally, regionally and internationally. The book deals with the many areas of international law and national policies and practices in which important progress has been made since the adoption of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights for better protection of human rights in the modern world. It equally provides a critical discussion of the difficulties and failures in various areas and probes questions and issues that are pending solution at the national, regional or universal levels.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Supplemental links
- Table of contents only
- Publication date
- edited by Asbjørn Eide, Jakob Th. Möller, Ineta Ziemele.
- Title Variation
- Essays on human rights in honour of Gudmundur Alfredsson