Screwed-up school reform : fixing America's broken promise
- Shear, Richard G., 1953-
- Lanham, Md. : ROWMAN & LITTLEFIELD EDUCATION, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- x, 157 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm
LB2822.82 .S438 2012
- Unknown LB2822.82 .S438 2012
- Cooper, Bruce S.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 153-155).
- Preface Introduction Screwed-Up by the Wrong Paradigm: The Conflicting Purposes of the Public Schools Chapter 1 Screwed-Up by Not Realizing: What Do Students Want? What Do Students Need? Chapter 2 Empowering Educators for Change: You Can't Lead When You're on the Wrong Road Chapter 3 Screwed-Up by Government and Governance Chapter 4 Screwed-Up by Clueless Boards of Education and Misguided Parent Groups... Chapter 5 Screwed-Up by Methods of School Funding Chapter 6 Ending the Screwed-Up Continuum by Recognizing that the Unachievable is Achievable Chapter 7 Ten Changes to End the Screwed-Up References.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- The unspoken American promise is that each generation will lead a better, more successful life than the previous one. In earlier times, it was an education that provided the next generations a better life. For today's children, though, decades of failed school reform have left a generation wondering if this promise has been broken. Despite policies, programs, and resources, American education does not live up to its expectations. In Screwed-Up School Reform, Richard G. Shear and Bruce S. Cooper reveal that generations of school reforms have actively worked to cure the symptoms of "broken schools, " but not the overarching, fundamental problems that permeate the system. Virtually an entire society has failed to understand the main problem with American education: children are rejecting its practices and conditions. But, the screwed-up education system is fixable, and it can be fixed now. If reformers focus instead on changing education's foundation, then children will instead succeed at school and in their personal lives.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Richard G. Shear and Bruce S. Cooper.