Managing conflicts in Africa's democratic transitions
- Lanham, Md. : Lexington Books, 2012.
- Physical description
- xxi, 339 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Adebayo, A. G. (Akanmu Gafari), 1956-
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Part I. Understanding Africa's Democratization, Elections, and Conflicts: 1. Dreams and nightmares: democratization, elections, and conflicts in Africa / Chux Ibekwe and Akanmu G. Adebayo; 2. Security in post-civil war democratic transitions in Africa / Abiodun Alao and Mike Adeyeye; 3. Traumatics: the representation of trauma in Yvonne Vera's Without a name / Oumar Cherif Diop
- Part II. Domestic and International Issues and Actors: 4. Democratization and post-election conflicts in Nigeria since independence: a historical reconsideration / Oluwakemi Abiodun Adesina; 5. Incumbency as a factor: appropriation of state security resources and electoral governance in Nigeria / 'Lai Olurode; 6. Religion and political activism in Egypt / Samy Gerges; 7. Democratization in Senegal: the failure of the 'Sopi' revolution / Haluk B. Bingol and Richard Vengroff; 8. The involution of democracy in Lusophone West Africa / Brandon D. Lundy; 9. Conflict analysis of the 2007 post-election violence in Kenya / Mara J. Roberts; 10. The French press and position on post-election crisis in Côte d'Ivoire / Edoh Agbehonou; 11. United States foreign policy responses to Africa's transition conflicts / Andrew Ewoh
- Part III. Conflict Management Options: 12. Post-election conflict resolution in Africa: lessons from African peace paradigms / Abdul Karim Bangura; 13. An African model? Conflict management in Ghana's 2008 presidential elections / Joseph Kingsley Adjei; 14. Lessons from South Africa's Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC) for managing Africa's conflicts / Edward L. Mienie; 15. Could forgiveness and amnesty be a panacea to Kenya's post-election conflict era? / Joseph W. Nasongo, Lydiah L.M. Wamocha, and Judith S.K. Achoka; 16. Establishing electoral conflict management panels: a case study of South Africa / Ilona Tip; 17. Post-electoral conflict in la Côte d'Ivoire: road map to peace / Sarah O. Danso.
- Publication date
- [edited by] Akanmu G. Adebayo.