The future of the city : tall buildings and urban design
- Al-Kodmany, Kheir.
- Southampton ; Boston : WIT Press, c2013.
- Physical description
- xii, 445 p. : ill. (some col.), maps (some col.) ; 31 cm.
NA6230 .A456 2013 F
- Unknown NA6230 .A456 2013 F
- Ali, Mir M.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -438) and index.
- Introduction Reshaping cities in the vertical age Chapter 1 The logic of vertical density Definitions-- Overview-- Historical background-- The contemporary city and its transformation-- Tall buildings and recession-- Why Tall Buildings?-- Population-- Global competition and globalization-- Urban regeneration-- Agglomeration-- Land prices-- Land consumption-- Energy and climate change-- Transportation and infrastructure-- Human aspirations, symbolism, and ego-- Emerging technologies-- Arguments against Tall Buildings-- Economics-- Environmental impact-- Civic infrastructure-- Socio-cultural factors-- Perception-- Public safety concerns-- Historic context and placemaking-- Digital revolution-- Tall Buildings in the 21st Century Chapter 2 Economics and city infrastructure Economic Considerations-- Feasibility studies-- Economic building height-- City Infrastructure-- Transportation-- Utilities-- Social Services-- Security-- Health care-- Recreation-- Education-- Fire safety Chapter 3 The city skyline and visual integration Historical Context-- The built heritage-- Recent challenges-- Managing change-- The City of London-- Skyline Impact and Visual Integration-- Skyline views-- Design principles and approach-- Night Skyline Chapter 4 Placemaking with tall buildings Elements of Imageability-- Landmarks-- Paths-- Edges-- Districts-- Nodes-- Interrelationships of elements-- Human Scale-- The tower base-- Tower articulation-- Streetscape-- Socioeconomic Activities-- Location-- The ground plane-- Building access-- Indoor spaces-- Public spaces-- Public art as placemaker-- Cultural Associations-- The Petronas Towers-- Jin Mao Tower-- Burj Al Arab-- Urban Forest Tower-- Shreepati Skies-- Naga Towers Chapter 5 Achieving architectural and engineering qualities Design Quality-- Form and aesthetics-- Anatomy of the Tall Building-- Physical components-- Tall building segments-- Quality in Space Programming-- Community spaces-- Access and egress-- Engineering Systems-- Structure and structural art-- Environmental control systems-- Quality of construction-- Microclimates around Tall Buildings-- Security-- Sustainable Design-- Management and Operations-- Effect of design and occupancy on operations Chapter 6 The rise of the iconic high-rise Vertical Iconicity-- The four skyscraper ages-- The age of pluralism, or the fifth skyscraper age (ca. 1990 - present)-- 2 Why Iconic Skyscrapers?-- Human aspirations-- Architectural ambitions and people's perceptions-- Computational power-- Technological breakthroughs-- Classification of Iconic Towers-- Dynamic forms-- Structural art forms-- Green Iconic Tall Buildings and the City Chapter 7 Strategies for regulating vertical density Nature and Importance of Regulations-- Purpose of regulations-- Focus of regulations-- Role of the government-- Role of regulatory bodies-- Role of political leaders-- Guiding Spatial Strategies-- The Compact City strategy-- Decentralized Concentration strategy-- Strategic locations for tall buildings-- Overlay analysis-- Zoning and Controlling Density-- Setbacks and building widths-- Height-- Floor area ratio-- Open space requirements-- Parking and accessibility-- Air rights-- Air traffic regulations-- Incentive zoning-- Tax increment financing-- Form-Based Codes-- SmartCode-- Transect-based planning-- Envisioning and Digital Tools-- Spatial planning and visualization tools Chapter 8 Sustainable tall buildings and cities Facets of Sustainability-- Community life and social sustainability-- Energy efficiency-- Transportation-- Sustainable Design Features, Technologies, and Strategies-- Site-- Sustainable architecture-- Renewable energy-- Tall buildings and birds-- Sustainable High-Rise Cities-- The urban challenge-- The city as an ecosystem-- From Cityscape to Skyscape-- Toward Creating Sustainable Cities-- New Sustainable Cities-- New Songdo City-- Masdar City Chapter 9 Urban and architectural design guidelines The Greater Perspective-- Urban conditions-- Site selection-- Spatial clusters-- Block considerations-- Social issues-- Design Guidelines for Tall Buildings-- Building design-- Parking design-- Accessibility-- Safety regulations and building codes-- New safety measures-- Guide for Evaluation of Tall Building Proposals-- Public Participation-- View corridors-- Master plan preparation-- Master plan scoping-- SWOT analysis-- Code amendment Chapter 10 Skyscraper cities of the world The International Scene---- East and Southeast Asia-- Shanghai-- Hong Kong-- Middle East and South Asia-- Dubai-- Mumbai-- Australia-- Melbourne-- Europe-- Frankfurt-- London-- Warsaw-- North America-- New York-- Chicago-- Vancouver Chapter 11 Innovative Urban Design for Tall Buildings Iconic Design-- Kartal, Istanbul-- Yongsan International Business District-- Generic-- Waterfront City, Dubai-- Sustainable Urban Design-- New Songdo City-- Linked Hybrid-- Ecological Urban Design-- West Kowloon Vertical Park and Waterfront Cultural Centre-- Eco-Iconic Approach-- Gwanggyo City Center-- Zira Island Master Plan-- Fantasy-Driven Design-- Paradise Islands-- Necessity-Driven Design-- Marina Bay Sands-- Futuristic Urban Design Chapter 12 Future skyscraper cities Attraction to Cities-- Visionary Skyscrapers-- La Citta Nuova-- La Ville Radieuse-- The Illinois Tower-- Cities in the sky-- Visionary Cities-- The imaginary future city of Hugh Ferriss-- The arcology of Paolo Soleri-- Metabolist city-- Archigram-- Skyscraper Cities of the 21st Century-- Emergent and future urban forms-- Technological innovations and breakthroughs-- The height paradox: is sky the limit?-- The wave of the future.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Major cities of the world are facing crisis of housing, shortage of workplace, polluted environment, and inadequate and deteriorating infrastructure. Existing cities have a challenge of how to introduce new tall buildings in the urban fabric whereas expanding cities are exploring new schemes about how to select the most appropriate sites and fashion the contextual setting of new tall buildings. Through a large number of wide-ranging visuals, sketches, and photographs as well as provocative textual narrative, this book enlightens its readers about integrating tall buildings into the cities of the future. Drawing on the experiences of several cities from different parts of the world, it provides a global perspective on the urbanization phenomenon and tall building development and examines their underlying logic, design drivers, contextual relationships, and pitfalls. All graphic illustrations are accompanied by explanatory captions to illuminate further the related concepts. The book discusses spatial planning and sustainable strategies as well as offers pragmatic architectural and urban design guidelines to better design tall buildings for future cities.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- K. Al-Kodmany & M.M. Ali.