- Publication date:
- New York : Springer, c1999.
- x, 275 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
Includes bibliographical references (p. -267) and index.
- 1. Geometry: The Parallel Postulate
- 2. Set Theory: Taming the Infinite
- 3. Analysis: Calculating Areas and Volumes
- 4. Number Theory: Fermat's Last Theorem
- 5. Algebra: The Search for an Elusive Formula.
"This book contains the stories of five mathematical journeys into new realms, told through the writings of the explorers themselves. Some were guided by mere curiosity and the thrill of adventure, while others had more practical motives. In each case the outcome was a vast expansion of the known mathematical world and the realization that still greater vistas remained to be explored. The authors tell these stories by guiding the reader through the very words of the mathematicians at the heart of these events, and thereby provide insight into the art of approaching mathematical problems."--BOOK JACKET.
- Pengelley, David.
Undergraduate texts in mathematics. Readings in mathematics.