Equations and inequalities : elementary problems and theorems in algebra and number theory
QA218 .H4713 2000
- Unknown QA218 .H4713 2000
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 1 Algebraic Identities and Equations.- 1 Formulas for Powers.- 2 Finite Sums.- 3 Polynomials.- 4 Symmetric Polynomials.- 5 Systems of Equations.- 6 Irrational Equations.- 7 Some Applications of Complex Numbers.- 2 Algebraic Inequalities.- 1 Definitions and Properties.- 2 Basic Methods.- 3 The Use of Algebraic Formulas.- 4 The Method of Squares.- 5 The Discriminant and Cauchy's Inequality.- 6 The Induction Principle.- 7 Chebyshev's Inequality.- 8 Inequalities Between Means.- 9 Appendix on Irrational Numbers.- 3 Number Theory.- 1 Basic Concepts.- 2 Prime Numbers.- 3 Congruences.- 4 Congruences in One Variable.- 5 Diophantine Equations.- 6 Solvability of Diopha, ntine Equations.- 7 Integer Part and Fractional Part.- 8 Base Representations.- 9 Dirichlet's Principle.- 10 Polynomials.- 4 Hints and Answers.- 1 Hints and Answers to Chapter 1.- 2 Hints and Answers to Chapter 2.- 3 Hints and Answers to Chapter 3.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- A look at solving problems in three areas of classical elementary mathematics: equations and systems of equations of various kinds, algebraic inequalities, and elementary number theory, in particular divisibility and diophantine equations. In each topic, brief theoretical discussions are followed by carefully worked out examples of increasing difficulty, and by exercises which range from routine to rather more challenging problems. While it emphasizes some methods that are not usually covered in beginning university courses, the book nevertheless teaches techniques and skills which are useful beyond the specific topics covered here. With approximately 330 examples and 760 exercises.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Supplemental links
Table of contents only
- Publication date
- Jiří Herman, Radan Kučera, Jaromír Šimša ; translated by Karl Dilcher.
- CMS books in mathematics ;