Speaking of race and class : the student experience at an elite college
- Aries, Elizabeth.
- Philadelphia, Penn. : Temple University Press, 2013.
- Physical description
- xii, 227 p. ; 23 cm.
LD156 .A76 2013
- Unknown LD156 .A76 2013
- Berman, Richard, 1948-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -222) and index.
- Acknowledgements-- Preface 1 Race and Class on Campus: Four Students' Stories-- 2 Moving In and the Challenges of Class-- 3 Bridging Two Worlds-- 4 Racial Insults-- 5 Black on Black-- 6 Black and White: Seeing Race Anew-- 7 Haves and Have-nots: Seeing Class Anew-- 8 Where We Are-- 9 Where do we go from here? Appendix A-- Appendix B.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- In Speaking of Race and Class, the follow up volume to her groundbreaking Race and Class Matters at an Elite College, Elizabeth Aries completes her four-year study of diversity at a prestigious liberal arts college. Here, the 58 students - affluent, lower-income, black and white - that Aries has interviewed since they were Amherst freshmen, provide a complete picture of what and how each group learned about issues of race and class. Aries presents the students' personal perceptions of their experiences. She reveals what the extent to which learning from diversity takes place on campus, and examines the distinct challenges that arise for students living in this heterogeneous community. Aries also looks more broadly at how colleges and universities across the country are addressing the challenges surrounding diversity. Speaking of Race and Class testifies to the programming and practices that have proven to be successful.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Amherst College > Freshman > Social conditions > Case studies.
- Private universities and colleges > Social aspects > Massachusetts > Amherst > Case studies.
- Minority college students > Massachusetts > Amherst > Social conditions > Case studies.
- College students > Massachusetts > Amherst > Social conditions > Case studies.
- Universities and colleges > Social aspects > United States.
- Elite (Social sciences) > United States.
- Publication date
- Elizabeth Aries with Richard Berman.