Future practice : conversations from the edge of architecture
- Hyde, Rory.
- New York : Routledge, 2013.
- Physical description
- 279 pages : illustrations ; 20 cm
NA1996 .H93 2013
- Unknown NA1996 .H93 2013
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 269-270) and index.
- Foreword Dan Hill. Introduction. Conversations 1. The Massive Changer: Bruce Mau 2. The Civic Entrepreneur: Indy Johar, 00:/ 3. The Whole Earth Architect: Reinier de Graaf and Laura Baird, AMO 4. The Double Agent: Mel Dodd, muf_aus 5. The Historian of the Present: Wouter Vanstiphout, Crimson 6. The Urban Activist: Camila Bustamante 7. The Contractual Innovator: Steve Ashton, ARM 8. The Near Future Inventor: Matt Webb, BERG 9. The Strategic Designer: Bryan Boyer, Helsinki Design Lab 10. The Management Thinkers: Todd Reisz on Consultants 11. The Community Enabler: Marcus Westbury, Renew Newcastle 12. The New Amsterdam Schoolt: DUS Architects 13. The Professional Generalist: Jeanne Gang, Studio Gang 14. The Architect as Public Intellectual: Conrad Hamann on Robin Boyd 15. The Educator of Excess: Liam Young, Unknown Fields 16. The Editor of the Beyond: Arjen Oosterman and Lilet Breddels, Volume 17. The Environmental Medic: Natalie Jeremijenko, xClinic. Endnotes. Index. Colophon.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Designers around the world are carving out opportunities for new kinds of engagement, new kinds of collaboration, new kinds of design outcomes, and new kinds of practice; overturning the inherited assumptions of the design professions. Seventeen conversations with practitioners from the fields of architecture, policy, activism, design, education, research, history, community engagement and more, each representing an emergent role for designers to occupy. Whether the "civic entrepreneur, " the "double agent, " or the "strategic designer, " this book offers a diverse spectrum of approaches to design, each offering a potential future for architectural practice. With a foreword by Dan Hill and interviews with Steve Ashton, ARM; Bryan Boyer, Helsinki Design Lab; Camila Bustamante; Mel Dodd, muf_aus; DUS Architects; Jeanne Gang, Studio Gang; Reinier de Graaf and Laura Baird, AMO; Conrad Hamann; Natalie Jeremijenko, xClinic; Indy Johar, 00:/; Bruce Mau; Arjen Oosterman and Lilet Breddels, Volume; Todd Reisz; Wouter Vanstiphout, Crimson; Matt Webb, BERG; Marcus Westbury, Renew Newcastle; and Liam Young, Unknown Fields.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Rory Hyde.