The global farms race : land grabs, agricultural investment, and the scramble for food security
- Washington, D.C. : Island Press, c2013.
- Physical description
- x, 237 p. ; 25 cm.
HD9000.6 .G52 2013
- Unknown HD9000.6 .G52 2013
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction / Michael Kugelman
- Are we learning from history? / Derek Byerlee
- Overview / David Hallam
- Social and economic implications / Alexandra Spieldoch and Sophia Murphy
- Environmental impacts / Laura A. German, Wouter M.J. Achten, and Manuel R. Guariguata
- Investors' perspectives / Gary R. Blumenthal
- Improving outcomes / Ruth Meinzen-Dick and Helen Markelova
- Regional perspectives : Africa / Chido Makunike
- Regional perspectives : Asia / Raul Q. Montemayor
- Regional perspectives : Latin America / Bastiaan P. Reydon and Vitor B. Fernandes
- Regional perspectives : Central and Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union / Carl Atkin
- Recommendations and conclusion / Michael Kugelman.
- Publisher's Summary
- We have entered a new phase of the global food crisis. Wealthy countries that import much of their food, along with private investors, are racing to buy or lease huge swaths of farmland abroad. "The Global Farms Race" is the first book to examine this burgeoning trend in all its complexity, considering the implications for investors, host countries, and the world as a whole. The debate over large-scale land acquisition is typically polarised, with critics lambasting it as a form of "neocolonialism, " and proponents lauding it as a cure-all for global agriculture. "The Global Farms Race" instead offers diverse perspectives, featuring contributions from agricultural investment consultants, farmers' organisations, international NGOs, and academics. This critical resource addresses historical context, environmental impacts, and social effects, and covers all the major geographic areas of investment.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Farms > Foreign ownership.
- Farms > Developing countries > Foreign ownership.
- Agricultural industries > Foreign ownership.
- Agricultural industries > Developing countries > Foreign ownership.
- Investments, Foreign > Developing countries.
- Agriculture > Capital investments.
- Food security > Political aspects.
- Food security > Environmental aspects.
- Food security > Social aspects.
- Publication date
- edited by Michael Kugelman, Susan L. Levenstein.