The Brazilian puzzle : culture on the borderlands of the Western World
- New York : Columbia University Press, c1995.
- Physical description
- vi, 306 p. : map ; 24 cm.
F2510 .B73 1995
- Unknown F2510 .B73 1995
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- The Brazilian Jeitinho : an exercise in national identity / Lívia Neves de H. Barbosa
- Swimming in cross-cultural currents / Conrad Kottak
- Small town, Brazil : heaven and hell of personalism / Rosane Prado
- Rituals, scandals, and sex crimes : attempted rape-murders across two generations / Maria Claudia Pereira Coelho
- Morality and transgression among Brazilian poor families : exploring ambiguities / Cynthia Sarti
- The celebration of our Lord of the Good End : changing state, church, and Afro-Brazilian relations in Bahia / Leni Silverstein
- Tupi or not Tupi MPB : popular music and identity in Brazil / Martha de Ulhôa Carvalho
- Hierarch, heterodoxy, and the construction of Brazilian religious therapies / David J. Hess
- The Brazilianization of Alcoholics Anonymous / Jeffrey Jarrad
- Bureaucratic rationality in Brazil and in the United States : criminal justice systems in comparative perspective / Roberto Kant de Lima
- For an anthropology of the Brazilian tradition ; or, "A virtude está no Meio" / Roberto DaMatta
- Afterword: The distorted mirror-- Brazil and the United States.
- Publisher's Summary
- Provides a unique picture of everyday life in Brazil viewed from a comparative perspective. Brazilian scholars and Brazilianists explore a range of topics, including sports, music, voluntary associations, religion, police practices, race and gender, and poor neighborhoods.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- edited by David J. Hess and Roberto A. DaMatta.