Transboundary environmental governance : inland, coastal and marine perspectives
- Farnham, Surrey, England ; Burlington, VT, USA : Ashgate, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xvi, 380 pages : illustrations, maps ; 24 cm
K3590.4 .T73 2012
- Unknown K3590.4 .T73 2012
- Includes bibliographical references (pages -371) and index.
- Perspectives on transboundary environmental governance / Robin Warner and Simon Marsden
- Transboundary environmental governance, collaboration and the law : empirical insights from water and natural resource management in inland Queensland, Australia / Cameron Holley
- Marine protected areas and transboundary governance / Lorne Kriwoken, Julie Davidson and Michael Lockwood
- Effective governance across Central Asian boundaries : what lessons does the Central Asian transboundary watercourse management experience provide for mountain biodiversity conservation across the Kyrgyz-Tajik boundary? / Michelle Lim
- Developing agreements for transboundary environmental impact assessment and strategic environment assessment in Asia / Simon Marsden
- Transboundary pollution from offshore oil and gas activities in the seas of Southeast Asia / Youna Lyons
- Coordinating strategic environmental assessments of marine and terrestrial plans : geo-engineering in the marine environment / Karen N. Scott
- A model litigant? : Australia's record in transboundary environmental litigation / Tim Stephens
- Transboundary environmental impact assessment in marine areas / Warwick Gullett
- Conserving marine biodiversity beyond boundaries : developing environmental assessment frameworks / Robin Warner
- Could the Espoo Convention become a global regime for environmental impact assessment and strategic environmental assessment? / Timo Koivurova.
- Publisher's Summary
- Effective protection of the marine and terrestrial environment increasingly requires cooperation between neighbouring States, international organizations, government entities and communities within States. This book analyses key aspects of transboundary environmental law and policy and their implementation in Asia, Australasia and Australian offshore territories, and surrounding areas beyond national jurisdiction including Antarctica. It discusses the potential for implementing key transboundary environmental mechanisms such as the 1991 Convention on Environmental Impact Assessment in a Transboundary Context (Espoo Convention) and its 1997 Protocol on Strategic Environmental Assessment (Kiev Protocol) in Australia and Asia drawing on experience from other regions and the potential application of these agreements to all UN member states. The book makes an innovative contribution to research in the area of transboundary environmental governance particularly as it applies to Asia, Australasia and international areas, supplementing similar research which has predominantly focused on Europe and North America.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Marine resources conservation > Law and legislation > Congresses.
- Environmental management > Law and legislation > Congresses.
- Coastal zone management > Law and legislation > Congresses.
- Environmental impact analysis > Law and legislation > Congresses.
- Transboundary pollution > Law and legislation > Congresses.
- Convention on Environmental Impact Assessment in a Transboundary Context (1991)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- edited by Robin Warner, University of Wollongong, Australia, Simon Marsden, Flinders University, Australia.
- "This book arose out of a seminar organised by the contributing editors, Robin Warner and Simon Marsden, which was held on 12 May 2011 ... at the University of Wollongong in Australia"--Page .