Elements of discipline : nine principles for teachers and parents
- Greenspan, Stephen.
- Philadelphia, Pa. : Temple University Press, 2013.
- Physical description
- xviii, 191 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
LB3012 .G76 2013
- Unknown LB3012 .G76 2013
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -187) and index.
- Foreword / Arnold J. Sameroff 1- Discipline Domains, Child Outcomes, Discipline Models-- 2-The Three Principles in the Affective model-- 3-The Three Principles in the Behavioral model-- 4-The Three Principles in the Cognitive Model-- 5-How the Three Models Might Approach Three Cases-- 6-How the ABC Theory Links Domains, Outcomes and Models-- 7- Use of the Nine ABC Elements to Deal with Discipline Situations-- 8-Use of the Theory to Better Understand Discipline Authors-- 9-Use of the ABC Theory to Refine One's Discipline Style References-- Appendix-Glossary of Terms.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Elements of Discipline is a timely and helpful book for teachers, parents, and day-care professionals that provides a simple set of rules for managing-successfully and humanely-a wide range of discipline situations and challenges. A well-respected child development specialist, Stephen Greenspan outlines his "ABC Theory of Discipline." He combines an "Affective Approach, " a "Behavioural Approach, " and a "Cognitive Approach" that when used in a coordinated fashion, will contribute to greater child compliance and family/classroom harmony. Greenspan suggests that, using his matrix, caregivers can provide the warmth, tolerance and influence that will help children become competent in three socio-emotional domains-happiness, boldness, and niceness. He recommends caregivers pick and choose from the discipline literature in a manner that best suits their individual style and values. Elements of Discipline is a lively guide to effective classroom or family management.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Stephen Greenspan ; foreword by Arnold J. Sameroff.