Handbook of environmental law
- Sahasranaman, P. B. author.
- Second edition.
- New Delhi, India : Oxford University Press, 2012.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xiii, 352 pages ; 25 cm
KNS1507 .S24 2012
- Unknown KNS1507 .S24 2012
- Includes bibliographical references (pages -338) and indexes.
- Introduction: The environment and the Constitution
- Basic environmental protection laws
- The concept of sustainable development
- The public trust doctrine
- Absolute liability of the polluter
- Reversal of the burden of proof
- The significance of public interest litigation
- Environmental impact assessment : an early warning system
- Commitments under international law
- Pollutants in the air
- Defilement of fresh water bodies
- Marine pollution
- Degradation of land and forests
- Endangered wildlife
- Safe disposal of waste
- The relevance of law on public nuisance
- The challenge of climate change
- The need for environmental courts
- Enforcing the "polluter pays" principle : environmental taxes
- Disaster management and rehabilitation.
- Publisher's Summary
- This handbook analyses key issues related to environmental protection in India. It covers an entire gamut of issues such as sustainable development, environmental impact assessment, water resource management, waste management, disaster management and rehabilitation, forest conservation, wildlife protection, and pollution and climatic change. The volume provides a valuable comparative analysis of Indian and international environmental laws. The author also discusses key provisions of international covenants on environment, and various related international conferences and their outcomes. The systematic narrative provides a clear picture of the duties and responsibilities of the institutions set up under the law (such as the state pollution control boards, the municipal boards, etc.) as well as of industry owners, and the rights of ordinary citizens in relation to a clean and healthy environment.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- P.B. Sahasranaman.
- Title Variation
- Oxford handbook of environmental law
- Other edition
- Revision of: Sahasranaman, P. B. Handbook of environmental law. New Delhi : Oxford University Press, 2009 9780195698527 (DLC) 2009311730 (OCoLC)311294240