African American, Creole and other vernacular Englishes in education : a bibliographic resource
Z1234 .D5 A37 2013
- Unknown Z1234 .D5 A37 2013
- National Council of Teachers of English.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -304) and index.
- Introduction, John R. Rickford and Julie Sweetland Topic Overviews and Short Citation Lists Assessment and Achievement (A) Short Citations for Assessment and Achievement (A) Bidialectalism and/or Contrastive Analysis (B) Short Citations for Bidialectalism and/or Contrastive Analysis (B) Culture and Curriculum (C) Short Citations for Culture and Curriculum (C) Disorders of Speech, Language or Communication (D) Short Citations for Disorders of Speech, Language or Communication (D) Edited Volumes, Overviews, Reviews, or Other Bibliographies (E) Short Citations for Edited Volumes, Overviews, Reviews, or Other Bibliographies Features (F) Short Citations for Features (F) Ideology, Attitudes, and/or Identity (I) Short Citations for Ideology, Attitudes, and/or Identity (I) Controversies about Vernacular Englishes in Schools (K) Short Citations for Controversies about Vernacular Englishes in Schools (K) Language Language or Dialect Awareness Approach (L) Short Citations for Language or Dialect Awareness Approach (L) Materials for Instruction (M) Short Citations for Materials for Instruction (M) Narrative, Discourse, Speech Events or Style (N) Short Citations for Narrative, Discourse, Speech Events or Style (N) Oral and Aural Arts: Speaking & Listening (O) Short Citations for Oral and Aural Arts: Speaking and Listening (O) Politics & Policy (P) Short Citations for Politics and Policy Language Acquisition (Q) Short Citations for Language Acquisition (Q) Reading (R) Short Citations for Reading (R) Strategies for Instruction (S) Short Citations for Strategies for Instruction (S) Teacher Preparation and Practices (T) Short Citations for Teacher Preparation and Practices (T) Code Choice (U) Short Citations for Code Choice (U) Vernacular Literacy or Dialect Readers (V) Short Citations for Vernacular Literacy or Dialect Readers (V) Writing (W) Short Citations for Writing (W) Language Transfer or Interference (X) Short Citations for Language Transfer or Interference (X) Video Resources (Z) Short Citations for Video Resources (Z).
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- More than 50 years of scholarly attention to the intersection of language and education have resulted in a rich body of literature on the role of vernacular language varieties in the classroom. This field of work can be bewildering in its size and variety, drawing as it does on the diverse methods, theories, and research paradigms of fields such as sociolinguistics, applied linguistics, psychology, and education. Compiling most of the publications from the past half century that deal with this critical topic, this volume includes more than 1600 references (books, articles in journals or books, and web-accessible dissertations and other works) on education in relation to African American Vernacular English [AAVE], English-based pidgins and creoles, Latina/o English, Native American English, and other English vernaculars such as Appalachian English in the United States and Aboriginal English in Australia), with accompanying abstracts for approximately a third of them. This comprehensive bibliography provides a tool useful for those interested in the complex issue of how knowledge about language variation can be used to more effectively teach students who speak a nonstandard or stigmatized language variety.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- African Americans > Languages > Bibliography.
- Creole dialects, English > United States > Bibliography.
- English language > Spoken English > United States > Bibliography.
- African Americans > Education > Language arts > Bibliography.
- Language and education > United States > Bibliography.
- African American students > Language > Bibliography.
- Black English > Bibliography.
- Publication date
- John R. Rickford ... [et al.].
- NCTE-Routledge research series