The finish : the killing of Osama Bin Laden
- Bowden, Mark, 1951- author.
- New York : Atlantic Monthly Press, 
- [Berkeley, California] : Distributed by Publishers Group West
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xv, 266 pages ; 24 cm
HV6430 .B55 B69 2012
- Unknown HV6430 .B55 B69 2012
- Includes bibliographical references.
- A definition of evil
- The path of Jihad
- Taking up arms
- The targeting engine
- "Please make sure to keep the children and all of the families away from the areas that are being photographed and bombed"
- Disguised uncertainty
- "Adhering to these precautions"
- The finish
- Publisher's Summary
- From Mark Bowden, the preeminent chronicler of our military and special forces, comes "The Finish, " a gripping account of the hunt for Osama bin Laden. With access to key sources, Bowden takes us inside the rooms where decisions were made and on the ground where the action unfolded. After masterminding the attacks of September 11, 2001, Osama bin Laden managed to vanish. Over the next ten years, as Bowden shows, America found that its war with al Qaeda--a scattered group of individuals who were almost impossible to track--demanded an innovative approach. Step by step, Bowden describes the development of a new tactical strategy to fight this war--the fusion of intel from various agencies and on-the-ground special ops. After thousands of special forces missions in Iraq and Afghanistan, the right weapon to go after bin Laden had finally evolved. By Spring 2011, intelligence pointed to a compound in Abbottabad; it was estimated that there was a 50/50 chance that Osama was there. Bowden shows how three strategies were mooted: a drone strike, a precision bombing, or an assault by Navy SEALs. In the end, the President had to make the final decision. It was time for the finish.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Bin Laden, Osama, 1957-2011 > Assassination.
- United States. Navy. SEALs > History > 21st century.
- Terrorism > United States > Prevention.
- Special operations (Military science) > United States.
- Special operations (Military science) > Pakistan.
- Special forces (Military science) > United States.
- War on Terrorism, 2001-2009.
- United States. Navy. SEALs > History.
- United States. Navy. SEALs.
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Mark Bowden.
- Title Variation
- Killing of Osama Bin Laden