Beyond the death penalty : reflections on punishment
- Cambridge, UK : Intersentia ; Portland, OR : Distribution for the USA and Canada : International Specialized Book Services, c2012.
- Physical description
- xiv, 326 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Maastricht series in human rights.
K5104 .A6 B49 2012
- Unknown K5104 .A6 B49 2012
- Includes bibliographical references.
- General introduction / Hans Nelen and Jacques Claessen
- Whatever happened to the death penalty? / David Garland
- The abolition of the death penalty in the Netherlands / Chrisje Brants
- The long and peculiar history without the death penalty in Finland / Jukka Kekkonen
- Imprisonment as an alternative to the death penalty : historical observations complementary to an emerging discussion / Lydia Bertram
- Towards abolition of the death penalty based on international obligations of a state / Diana Merten
- Crime and punishment in a populist context / Hans Boutellier
- Too readily dismissed? : a victimological perspective on penal populism / Antony Pemberton
- A "natural right" to revenge? / Bas van Stokkom
- Lay participation in the Dutch criminal procedure will not result in higher public satisfaction / Henk Elffers
- Eye to eye with the Dutch anti-social behaviour agenda / Patrick van Calster and Marc Schuilenburg
- Sex with a child robot : psychologial, ethical and legal arguments / David Bamps
- Crime and punishment : reflections on (capital) punishment from a religious perspective / Jacques Claessen
- The South African model of transitional justice : revenge or reconciliation? / Georgi Verbeeck
- Criminal records and judicial rehabilitation in the Netherlands / Miranda Boone
- Life without parole / Hans Nelen
- Working as a prison officer : to be human is to be emotional / Hanne Tournel
- Health care in detention in the Netherlands : dilemmas and decisions / Wilma Duijst, Tatjana Naujocks and Jan Vosters
- The efficiency of solving criminal conflict through negotiation / Stephanie Verhelst
- Recidivism in the Netherlands : Dutch research on the effectiveness of penal interventions / Bouke Wartna, Daphne Alberda and Suzan Verweij.
- This book contains a selection of papers that were presented during the multidisciplinary conference 'Beyond the Death Penalty: Reflections on Punishment', organised by the Maastricht Centre for Human Rights. The event marked the 150th anniversary of the 'de facto' abolition of the death penalty in the Netherlands.
- Publication date
- edited by Hans Nelen and Jacques Claessen.
- Maastricht Series in Human Rights