Rwanda fast forward : social, economic, military and reconciliation prospects
- Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire ; New York, NY : Palgrave Macmillan, 2012.
- Physical description
- xii, 283 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Rwanda Fast Forward: the Many Perspectives that make Rwanda a Unique Country-- M.Campioni& P.Noack PART I: RECONCILIATION, RECONSTRUCTION, UNIFICATION AND CIVIL SOCIETY ISSUES Rwanda 2025: Scenario for the Future Political Stability of Rwanda-- E.Marijnen& J.van der Lijn Discordant Narratives in Rwanda's Gacaca Courts-- A.Breed Participatory Rights in Rwanda: Genocide Ideology Laws and the Future of Political Space-- F.Cowell Independent Actors or Silent Agents: Where to go for Rwandan Civil Society?-- C.Adamczyck Deterioration of Aid Coordination in Gacaca Implementation: Dealing with the Past for a Better Future-- A.Jamar Peasant Perspectives on National Unity and Reconciliation: Building Peace or Promoting Division?-- S.Thomson PART II: ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT Regional Integration and the Future of Rwanda-- B.Sodipo& J.Musiitwa Rwanda: Overcoming the Industrial Policy Taboo-- J.Holden New 'friends' of Rwanda - Chinese Noodles and Indian Curry: Analysis of Asian Giants Forays into Rwanda in the Light of Theories on OFDI-- K.Nanda Communication, Media and the Way Forward-- A.Colom Contemporary Education and the Challenges of Switching Formal Language to English in Rwanda-- J.Assan& L.Walker Civic Education and Social Transformation in Post-Genocide Rwanda: Forging The Perfect Development Subjects-- A.Purdekova PART III: CONFLICT AND THE ROLE OF THE MILITARY The Spread of the 'Genocide Ideology' within the Great Lakes Region: Challenges for Rwanda-- F.Rusagara Between Pyongyang and Singapore: the Rwandan State, its Rulers, and the Military-- W.Jones The Role of the Military in Rwanda: Current Dynamics and Future Prospects-- D.Beswick Nurturing Democracy or into the Danger Zone? The Rwandan Patriotic Front, Elite Fragmentation and Post-Liberation Politics-- H.Verhoeven.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- The future of Rwanda lies in its diversity, in how this diversity is handled and prioritised. With a vast array of first-hand experience, the contributors offer insights on Rwandan social, military, civil society, governance and economic matters to weave a picture that is as compelling as it is balanced. Assessing Rwanda's future beyond its 'development plan', they discuss the implications of decisions taken today and their future role in the region. In a diversified, incisive and comprehensive series of responses that are neither 'for' nor 'against' the current political regime, they ask fundamental questions that will shape the future of this tiny mountain country in central Africa.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- edited by Maddalena Campioni and Patrick Noack.