Primary education in Ireland, 1897-1990 : curriculum and context
LA669.62 .W36 2012
- Unknown LA669.62 .W36 2012
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Contents: Societal and Educational Context for Curriculum Provision (1897-1921) - Planning and Content of the Revised Programme of Instruction (1900) - Development of the Revised Programme of Instruction (1900-21) - Societal and Educational Context for Curriculum Provision (1922-71) - Planning and Content of the Primary School Curriculum (1922-71) - Implementation of the Primary School Curriculum (1922-71) - Societal and Educational Context for Curriculum Provision (1971-90) - Planning and Content of the Primary School Curriculum (1971) - Implementation of the Primary School Curriculum (1971-90).
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This book critically examines the context, origins, development and implementation of successive primary school curricula in Ireland between 1897 and 1990. It focuses on three particular policy changes during the period: the Revised Programme of Instruction introduced in 1900, the curricular provisions implemented following the achievement of independence in the 1920s and the Primary School Curriculum of 1971. These three eras are distinctive by virtue of their philosophy of education, the content of the curriculum, the methodologies employed and the concept of the child inherent in the curriculum. The author analyses curricular changes within the complex web of wider educational and societal factors that influenced their devising and implementation. In this way, he locates curricular developments within the climate of thought from which these policies emerged. The philosophy and ideology underpinning successive curricula are examined, along with the successes and shortcomings of curriculum implementation in each period. This historical analysis of the evolution of the primary curriculum in Ireland has much to offer researchers and policymakers in the contemporary context, amid ongoing curriculum development.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Thomas Walsh.
- Rethinking education ; v. 12