Literacy and education : understanding the new literacy studies in the classroom
- Pahl, Kate.
- 2nd ed.
- Los Angeles, Calif. : SAGE, c2012.
- Physical description
- xxi, 191 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
LC156 .G7 P34 2012
- Unknown LC156 .G7 P34 2012
- Rowsell, Jennifer, 1969-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -186) and index.
- The New Literacy Studies and Teaching Literacy: Where We Were and Where We Are Going Multimodal Literacies: New Ways of Reading and Writing Children's Texts Go to School Literacies in the Community Literacy and Identity: Who Are the Meaning Makers? Navigating New Literacies for New Times: Shaping Curriculum and Pedagogy Conclusion to the Second Editionn of Literacy and Education References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Six years on from the first edition of Literacy and Education, the ways we think about literacy have changed. The book continues to be an accessible guide to current theory on literacy with practical applications in the classroom, but has a new focus on the ecologies of literacy and on ways of researching literacy that are participatory and visual. The Second Edition examines: - New Literacy Studies - material culture and literacy - digital literacies - the ecological, place-based approaches to literacy education - timescales and identities, and - ways in which research has moved on to inform literacy education Classroom teachers, teacher trainers and students of literacy will find this a user-friendly guide to new theory in literacy education, clearly demonstrating how to implement this theory in the classroom in a way that is inclusive and listens to the students of today. Dr Kate Pahl is Senior Lecturer at the School of Education, University of Sheffield, UK. Dr Jennifer Rowsell is a Canada Research Chair in Multiliteracies at Brock University's Faculty of Education.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Kate Pahl and Jennifer Rowsell.