Handbook of research on the education of young children
- 3rd ed.
- New York : Routledge, 2013.
- Physical description
- xii, 462 p. ; 29 cm.
LB1119 .H25 2013
- In-library use LB1119 .H25 2013
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- INTRODUCTION 1. Introduction: A Contemporary Researcher's vade mecum (redux) Olivia N. Saracho Bernard Spodek Part I. EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION AND CHILD DEVELOPMENT 2. Cognitive Development and the Education of Young Children Kelvin L. Seifert 3. Young Children's Peer Relations and Social Competence Gary Ladd Casey M. Sechler 4. The Emotional Basis of Learning and Development in Early Childhood Education Susanne A. Denham Katherine M. Zinsser Chavaughn A. Brown 5. Motor Development in Young Children Jackie Goodway John Ozmun David L. Gallahue 6. The Development of Children's Creativity Mark A. Runco Nur Cayirdag Part II. EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATIONAL CURRICULUM and INSTRUCTION 7. Rethinking Language Education in Early Childhood: Socio-Cultural Perspectives Jim Anderson Lyndsay Moffatt Marianne McTavish Jon Shapiro 8. Views and Issues in Children's Literature Olivia N. Saracho 9. Early Literacy: Towards a Semiotic approach Susan E. Hill Sue Nichols 10. The Education of Young Dual-Language Learners: An Overview Robert Rueda David B. Yaden, Jr. 11. Mathematics for Early Childhood Education Catherine Sophian 12. Science Education in the Early Years Lucia A. French Suzanne D. Woodring 13. Techno-Tykes: Digital Technologies in Early Childhood Marina Umaschi Bers Elizabeth R. Kazakoff 14. Social Competence Education in Early Childhood: A Sociocultural Perspective Stacy DeZutter Melissa K. Kelly 15. Repositioning the Visual Arts in Early Childhood Education: Continuing Reconsideration Christine Marme Thompson 16. The Dance of Learning Karen Bradley 17. Musical Childhoods: A Survey of Contemporary Research Susan Young 18. Play in Early Childhood Education James E. Johnson Serap Sevimli-Celik Monirah Al-Mansour 19. United States Early Childhood Multicultural Education Francis Wardle Part III. FOUNDATIONS OF EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATIONAL POLICY 20. Childhood Poverty: Implications for School Readiness and Early Childhood Education Rebecca M. Ryan Rebecca C. Fauth Jeanne Brooks-Gunn 21. Effective Early Childhood Education Programs for Disadvantaged Children: A Systematic Review and Case Studies Bette Chambers Oli de Botton Alan Cheung Robert E. Slavin 22. Educational Policy in the United States Regarding Bilinguals in Early Childhood Education Eugene E. Garcia Ann-Marie Wiese 23. Young Children's Understanding of Disabilities: Implications for Attitude Development and Inclusive Education SeonYeong Yu Michaelene M. Ostrosky 24. Child Care for Young Children Kay Sanders Carollee Howes 25. Family Context in Early Childhood: Connecting Beliefs, Practices, and Ecologies Barbara H. Fiese 26. Promising Approaches to Professional Development for Early Childhood Educators Douglas R. Powell Karen E. Diamond, Mary K. Cockburn 27. Lifting Preschool Quality - Nurturing Effective Teachers Bruce Fuller Rebecca Anguiano John W. Gasko 28. Early Childhood Education Programs in the Public Schools Jason T. Hustedt Dale J. Epstein W. Steven Barnett 29. Assessing Children's Learning in Early Childhood Education Settings Dominic F. Gullo 30. Evaluating the Quality of Early Childhood Education Programs Dale C. Farran Kerry Hofer.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- The Handbook of Research on the Education of Young Children is the essential reference on research on early childhood education throughout the world. This singular resource provides a comprehensive overview of important contemporary issues as well as the information necessary to make informed judgments about these issues. The field has changed significantly since the publication of the second edition, and this third edition of the handbook takes care to address the entirety of vital new developments. A valuable tool for all those who work and study in the field of early childhood education, this volume addresses critical, cutting edge research on child development, curriculum, policy, and research and evaluation strategies. With a multitude of new and updated chapters, The Handbook of Research on the Education of Young Children, 3rd Edition makes the expanding knowledge base related to early childhood education readily available and accessible.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- edited by Olivia N. Saracho with Bernard Spodek.