"Sit & get" won't grow dendrites : 20 professional learning strategies that engage the adult brain
- Tate, Marcia L.
- 2nd ed.
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin Press, c2012.
- Physical description
- xx, 165 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
LC5225 .L42 T37 2012
- Unknown LC5225 .L42 T37 2012
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 155-160) and index.
- Preface Acknowledgments About the Author Introduction: Adult Learning Theory 1. Brainstorming and Discussion 2. Drawing and Artwork 3. Field Trips 4. Games 5. Graphic Organizers, Semantic Maps, and Word Webs 6. Humor and Celebration 7. Manipulatives and Models 8. Metaphors, Analogies, and Similes 9. Mnemonic Devices 10. Movement 11. Music, Rhythm, Rhyme, and Rap 12. Project-Based and Problem-Based Instruction 13. Reciprocal Teaching, Cooperative Learning, and Peer Coaching 14. Role Plays, Drama, Pantomimes, and Charades 15. Storytelling 16. Technology 17. Visualization and Guided Imagery 18. Visuals 19. Work Study, Action Research, and Professional Learning Communities 20. Writing and Reflection Resource A: Professional Learning Lesson Design Resource B: Sample Professional Learning Lesson Designs Resource C: Tips for Making Your Professional Learning Unforgettable Resource D: Secrets for Looking Younger, Staying Healthier, and Living Longer Bibliography Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Essential clues to the adult brain and how it learns best! Teaching busy adults can be a daunting task. In this best-selling book, Marcia Tate uncovers how to deliver memorable, high-impact learning experiences in ways adults learn best. In this second edition offers: - New findings on learning styles, brain research, and adult learning theory - 20 learning strategies proven to engage adults and boost long-term retention - 150 professional learning activities that spark educator participation - New tips to make professional learning unforgettable - Samples of professional learning designs - References to the new Learning Forward Professional Standards - Guided reflection and application sections.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Marcia L. Tate.
- Title Variation
- "Sit and get" won't grow dendrites