Discovering and developing talents in Spanish-speaking students
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin, c2012.
- Physical description
- xviii, 194 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
LC2669 .D57 2012
- Unknown LC2669 .D57 2012
- Smutny, Joan F.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Acknowledgments About the Authors Introduction 1. Changing Landscape of U.S. Schools: A Call to Action 2. Bilingualism: A Cognitive Strength 3. A Cultural Primer 4. Recognizing Talents, Abilities, and Creativity in Your Spanish-Speaking Students 5. Identifying Gifted Hispanic Students 6. Effective Ways for Teachers to Connect Wth Spanish-Speaking Parents 7. Developing the Strengths and Talents of Hispanic ELLs: Strategies for Getting Started 8. Program Options for Advanced Hispanic ELLs: Putting Your Strategies to Work Conclusion Appendix Bibliography Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This comprehensive guide will provide teachers and administrators with practical suggestions and materials that they can immediately use to improve their teaching of high-ability students from Spanish-speaking households. The authors will share best practices that narrow the language and cultural barriers between educators and the families of their gifted students and will help teachers to: support ELL students by guiding teachers and schools to affirm them and their unique and rich cultural backgrounds; increase minority enrollment in gifted programs by providing a much-needed resource to schools, teachers, and districts on meeting the needs of this population; improve the effectiveness of educational programs by strengthening the home-school connection for Hispanic families; and, bridge the Anglo-Hispanic cultural divide by informing educators on cultural nuances and helping them more effectively meet the needs of their students. Educate Hispanic parents on the meaning of gifted, giftedness, and how to support their own children. Overcome budget constraints with practical guidelines and reproducibles for teachers to implement in their programs right away. This book will also contain parent/teacher/student testimonials, samples of communications with parents, and an appendix of reproducibles in English and Spanish so that teachers can photocopy or adapt them for their own use to aid in their communication with student families.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Joan Franklin Smutny ... [et al.].