Cars, energy, nuclear diplomacy and the law : cars, energy, nuclear diplomacy and the law : a reflective memoir of three generations
- Smith, John Thomas, 1943-
- Lanham, Md. : Rowman and Littlefield Publishers, Inc., c2012.
- Physical description
- x, 249 p. : ill., ports. ; 24 cm.
KF373 .S5697 S65 2012
- Unknown KF373 .S5697 S65 2012
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 237-239) and index.
- William George Maguire
- John Thomas Smith
- More about J.T.
- My father, Gerard C. Smith
- Life in Washington in the early 50s
- Reflection : religion and "last things"
- State Department : round one
- The 60s
- J.T.S. II, Yale years
- Romance, marriage, and military service
- Reflection : a digression on "sex"
- G.C.S. and strategic arms limitations
- J.T.S. II, initial public service
- Reflection : digression by a member of the first nuclear weapons generation
- J.T.S. II, six months of justice
- Reflection : a digression on alcohol
- G.C.S. in the 1970s
- J.T.S. II, 1973-1978
- Reflection : a digression on family and friends
- The 1980s : a fraught decade
- Reflection : a digression on my mother
- Two divorces and three weddings
- Reflection : a digression on divorce
- My father's final years
- Reflection : a digression on reading
- Private practice
- Final days and reflections
- Reflection : a final digression on war and death and American "exceptionalism".
- Publisher's Summary
- This multigenerational memoir sketches the lives of three generations of the author's family that were involved with some of the most profound issues of the twentieth century. Smith's paternal grandfather was present at the creation of General Motors Corporation and served as its Vice President and General Counsel. His maternal grandfather, William G. Maguire, was an entrepreneur and natural gas pipeline pioneer with a visionary grasp of natural gas's significance in the twentieth century American economy. Smith's father served as a senior diplomat under five presidents, working to constrain the nuclear arms race between the United States and Russia and to curtail proliferation of nuclear weapons.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- John Thomas Smith II.