The handbook of transformative learning : theory, research, and practice
- 1st ed.
- San Francisco, CA : Jossey-Bass, c2012.
- Physical description
- xiv, 598 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Jossey-Bass higher and adult education series.
LC1100 .H363 2012
- Unknown LC1100 .H363 2012
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- About the Editors ix About the Contributors xi PART ONE: SETTING THE CONTEXT 1 1 Transformative Learning Theory: Seeking a More Unified Theory 3 Patricia Cranton and Edward W. Taylor 2 Themes and Variations of Transformational Learning: Interdisciplinary Perspectives on Forms That Transform 21 Elizabeth J. Tisdell 3 A Critical Review of Research on Transformative Learning Theory, 2006--2010 37 Edward W. Taylor and Melissa J. Snyder 4 Studying Transformative Learning: What Methodology? 56 Sharan B. Merriam and SeonJoo Kim 5 Learning to Think Like an Adult: Core Concepts of Transformation Theory 73 Jack Mezirow PART TWO: EXPLORING THE THEORY OF TRANSFORMATIVE LEARNING: DIVERSE PERSPECTIVES 97 6 Mezirow's Theory of Transformative Learning from 1975 to Present 99 Lisa M. Baumgartner 7 Nurturing Soul Work: A Jungian Approach to Transformative Learning 116 John M. Dirkx 8 Critical Theory and Transformative Learning 131 Stephen D. Brookfield 9 Transformative Learning: A Developmental Perspective 147 Kathleen Taylor and Dean Elias 10 Deep Transformation: Forging a Planetary Worldview 162 Edmund O'Sullivan 11 Transformative Learning and the Challenges of Complexity 178 Michel Alhadeff-Jones 12 Transforming Transformative Learning Through Sustainability and the New Science 195 Elizabeth A. Lange 13 An Existential Approach to Transformative Learning 212 Peter Willis PART THREE: TRANSFORMATIVE LEARNING: CULTURE, POSITIONALITY, AND INTERNATIONAL PERSPECTIVES 229 14 Cultural-Spiritual Perspective of Transformative Learning 231 Nadira K. Charaniya 15 Women and Transformative Learning 245 Leona M. English and Catherine J. Irving 16 Positionality and Transformative Learning: A Tale of Inclusion and Exclusion 260 Juanita Johnson-Bailey 17 Transformative Learning Theory: A Perspective from Africa 274 Peggy Gabo Ntseane 18 Transformative Learning in Europe: An Overview of the Theoretical Perspectives 289 Alexis Kokkos 19 International and Community-Based Transformative Learning 304 Olutoyin Mejiuni PART FOUR: TRANSFORMATIVE LEARNING: CENTRAL CONCEPTS AND SETTINGS 321 20 Critical Reflection and Transformative Learning 323 Carolin Kreber 21 The Role of Experience in Transformative Learning 342 Dorothy MacKeracher 22 Group Work and Dialogue: Spaces and Processes for Transformative Learning in Relationships 355 Steven A. Schapiro, Ilene L. Wasserman, and Placida V. Gallegos 23 Transformative Learning in the Workplace: Leading Learning for Self and Organizational Change 373 Karen E. Watkins, Victoria J. Marsick, and Pierre G. Faller 24 Fostering Transformative Learning in Higher Education Settings 388 Carol E. Kasworm and Tuere A. Bowles 25 Fostering Transformative Learning Online 408 Regina O. Smith PART FIVE: FOSTERING TRANSFORMATIVE LEARNING: PRACTICES AND ETHICS 423 26 Transformation as Embodied Narrative 425 M. Carolyn Clark 27 Learner-Centered Teaching and Transformative Learning 439 Maryellen Weimer 28 Storytelling and Transformative Learning 455 Jo A. Tyler and Ann L. Swartz 29 Transformative Learning Through Artistic Expression: Getting Out of Our Heads 471 Randee Lipson Lawrence 30 Fiction and Film and Transformative Learning 486 Christine Jarvis 31 Learning to Be What We Know: The Pivotal Role of Presentational Knowing in Transformative Learning 503 Elizabeth Kasl and Lyle Yorks 32 Evaluating Transformative Learning 520 Patricia Cranton and Chad Hoggan 33 Educator as Change Agent: Ethics of Transformative Learning 536 Dorothy Ettling PART SIX: REFLECTING ON THE FUTURE OF TRANSFORMATIVE LEARNING 553 34 Reflecting Back and Looking Forward 555 Edward W. Taylor and Patricia Cranton Name Index 575 Subject Index 588.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- The Handbook of Transformative Learning provides a comprehensive and critical review of more than three decades of theory development, research, and practice in Transformative Learning (TL). It will help adult educators understand what transformative learning is, distinguish it from other forms of learning, and foster it in their practice. The book covers five broad areas: historical, theoretical, practical, research, and future perspective. It is comprehensive, interdisciplinary, critical, reflective, and accessible to a wide audience of interested scholars, students, and practitioners. Co-edited by leading experts in the field with an advisory group of prominent authorities, this handbook is the leading resource for the field.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- [edited by] Edward W. Taylor, Patricia Cranton, and associates.
- Title Variation
- Transformative learning
- Jossey-Bass higher and adult education series